• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Odd AW4 Question

Backdraft

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, heres the deal. I replaced my tranny a while back and noticed this but never gave it much thought till now. The new transmission I put in seems to be missing a gear selection. On the old tranny it was the normal P, R, N, D, 3, 1-2. The new one appears to only have P, R, N, D, 3. :dunno: When driving, it shifts thru all 3 gears and then into overdrive when the converter locks up. I have shifted manually with the shifter inside, as well as shifting it from underneath while the shift cable was disconnected and using only the arm on the side of the tranny and sure enuff im missing a gear selection. Background is - old tranny was original 1990 AW4, and replacement tranny is an '87 AW4.

Anyone got any ideas about this thing? Its not giving me fits or anything, just got me really curious.

Mike

Last edited:
There's another thread on one of the NAXJA forums that was started just a day or three ago, regarding an '87 with a 3-speed tranny. IIRC the opinion was that it wasn't an AW-4 ... although nothing else I've ever read or heard even remotely suggests that anything other than the AW-4 was ever used behind the 4.0L engine in the XJ.

May I suggest that you chase down that thread and see if any of the original post appears to coincide with your situation? It seems extremely "coincidental" that after years of nothing but AW-4 4-speed+OD, suddenly within the space of a week we have two cases of atypical behavior from XJ automatic trannies.

Are you certain the "new" tranny is an AW-4?

Positive the "new" tranny is an AW4. physically the exact same, not to mention it says "Aisen-Warner" on the side of it.

But yeah, Ill check for the other thread. Tried a search but didnt yield anything specific to my situation.

Mike

Back