• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I need an idiot light.

guy'sxj

NAXJA Forum User
Everyone knows about the increadable placement of the XJ alternators. I always carry a spare, but mine always craps out at the most inopertune time. I have a '89 Limited with a 4.0. It has gauges. The problem is when it does crap out I never notice it on the gauge till it's too late. What I want to do is install a large red idiot light and a piezzo to let me know asap it took a dump (most of the time it just needs rr's to get it back). All I need is some kind of output to let me as soon as the alt. dies and I could figure out the rest. Anyone have an idea?

TIA

Guy

I'd have to look at wiring diagrams to come up with a specific solution, and to do that I'd need to know the year of your XJ. Basic point, though, is that the base models come (sorry, "came") with idiot lights. And simply swapping in a cluster with gauges makes the voltmeter work, which means that the wiring for an idiot light is already in place. Just find yourself a wiring diagram for your year, figure out where the wiring for the idiot light is behind the cluster, and tap off it with a nice big red light you can mojnt on top of your dashboard.

Back