• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

brake switch and booster swap!

limegrnxj

NAXJA Forum User
I have been doing some research on swapping in a 95 or newer booster into my Cherokee, and I have found that I will need to switch to the newer brake light switch. I was looking on 4x4wire at there mj booster swap, what they had done was ground a flat spot on the petal rod so they could utilize the stock switch. I was wondering if anybody has done this, or what was involved in converting to a newer style switch?

My buddie tried to grind the pedal down and did it at the wrong angle so it wouldn't work. so he used a '95 switch which he mounted further up the brake. I will take pics when I am done hopefully this weekend.
DIG IT

your buddy? ...o ya, that'd be me :)

i did try to grind the flat spot down, but that didnt end up working so hot, so i used the switch from a 95 xj and made it work :) i can get pictures when i get home, i'm at school "working" in the lab right now ;-)

CheapXJ on this board was the one to guide me through the 95 switch conversion.

Brad

I've swapped a 96 dual booster and a E350 master cylinder into my 85XJ w/stroker. Yes you have to grind down the end of the brake actuator arm a few thousands but it was a piece of cake. Just put the old and new side by side for reference while grinding. The biggest problem is that the dual booster has to be sealed to the MC or you have a massive vacuum leak. With the E350 MC, they don't mate together too good, so I cut a .060 piece of aluminum and covered both sides with .0625 neoprene. I then gooped both sides and bolted everything together. Works great. You do reduce the amount of clearance on the airbox and I ended up moving a hose to another position, but you wouldn't have to.

On my 89 I also had to open the diameter of the end of the rod to fit the bolt through the pedal.

Ruh roh..had a 96 type booster put in my 89, and the original brake light switch no longer functions..does this mean I need to get a switch type from 96? I got a new switch to replace it, but its for the 89 year type..

If you didn't grind the flat on the booster out of the vehicle I don't think you will have much luck getting it right in the vehicle. But the early pedal assembly doesn't have the attaching bracket for the 95+ type switch so you will have to figure out how to mount the later sw.

old_man said:
I've swapped a 96 dual booster and a E350 master cylinder into my 85XJ w/stroker. Yes you have to grind down the end of the brake actuator arm a few thousands but it was a piece of cake. Just put the old and new side by side for reference while grinding. The biggest problem is that the dual booster has to be sealed to the MC or you have a massive vacuum leak. With the E350 MC, they don't mate together too good, so I cut a .060 piece of aluminum and covered both sides with .0625 neoprene. I then gooped both sides and bolted everything together. Works great. You do reduce the amount of clearance on the airbox and I ended up moving a hose to another position, but you wouldn't have to.

On my 89 the master cylinder out of a 95 E350 bolted right up the the 89s single diaphram booster with no clearence/vaccuum issues.

Last edited:
well there isn't much too the swap actually but I can take some pics maybe this weekend.

I didn't want to mess with swapping to the later switch. So I just opened up the hole of the 96 booster to match the original one and then flattened out the back side. Not much to it. If you have them side by side you will see that it is pretty self explanatory. But make sure it is right before you bolt everything together.
Dustin

BUCKYXJ said:
well there isn't much too the swap actually but I can take some pics maybe this weekend.
i was just mainly wondering on the switch location, i think i am going to try and grind the new boosters rod

just to keep this thread interesting I am just now doing a 69 corvette MC swap for my 1ton and 3/4ton discs (f/r). had to hog out the mounting holes a bit and get some different brake fittings to go to the prop valve, but it's pretty straight forward.

SeanP

Back