• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where to get 8.25 R&P??

Turtle

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 94 XJ with the AX15. I tried searching on this, and it seems as if everyone is swapping stock gears.

From what I have read, I have a 3.07:1 rear end gearing. When pulling my 12x6 enclosed trailer with 2 go karts, and some tools, I get clutch chatter starting from a dead stop, after the clutch is good and warm.

I am sure a deeper ratio would take care of the problem, like a 3.73. I am running stock size wheel/tires, and ride height.

Are there aftermarket ring and pinions for the 8.25?
If not, what can I get them out of?

Thanks

Yes, they're available, but from aftermarket suppliers generally. I've got Precision gears that I got through http://www.drivetraindirect.com.

FYI, my 94 started with 3.07, went to 4.10, then to 4.56.

What may be a better way to go would be to go to a junkyard and get a pair of axles, a front D30 and a rear 8.25 out of an automatic trans XJ. That'll get you to 3.55, a mild improvement from 3.07.

BTW, you also really want to regear both ends if it's a 4wd.

Did you go with the deeper gears because of tire size? I am running stock size tires, should I go to 4.10 If i'm going to do it? I work for TPiS and we are a dealer for Precision Gear. I see on the website you supplied that the 8-3/8 R&P are the same as the 8.25.

I am glad you mentioned changing the front gears as well, this was my next question. What R&P for the front end?

Do you think it's cheaper to buy used axles from a junkyard, vs. a new R&P?

Thanks

Figure $200-400 for labor to regear a single axle. Then add parts.

You should be able to get 3.55 axles out of a junkyard for about what labor will run you to regear, and if you're a little mechanically inclined, you can do the swap yourself.

As far as R&P for the front, I'd try to stick to Dana personally.

I don't think I'd go to 4.10s on stock tires. I ran 4.10s with 31x10.50s and then 4.56s with 33x12.50s.

ChiXJeff said:
Figure $200-400 for labor to regear a single axle. Then add parts.

You should be able to get 3.55 axles out of a junkyard for about what labor will run you to regear, and if you're a little mechanically inclined, you can do the swap yourself.

As far as R&P for the front, I'd try to stick to Dana personally.

I don't think I'd go to 4.10s on stock tires. I ran 4.10s with 31x10.50s and then 4.56s with 33x12.50s.

If the 3.55 will be a better match, then junkyard axles will be the way i'll go.

I was thinking about selling my manual XJ, and buying an automatic. My main use is for towing this trailer. I drove a AW4 yesterday, and it definately had better acceleration.

Thank You

I'd suggest 3.55s first.

Me, I hate automatics. Never owned a vehicle with one.... wait a sec.... I'm trying to sell one now.....

Back