• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

windshield mounted lights

njedgexj

NAXJA Forum User
i have searched for some bracket to mount lights near my windshield like the wranglers...i have not found anything...im thinking of fab'n up some, has anyone done this before, or know where i might find some info on this...thanks...
njedgexj

i found a thread off another forum....his mounts were weldedim gonna just bolt them on instead...i liked his design for the brackets...

I've been working on something like this for awhile. They would seem easy to make, but there are a lot of bents and angles in the APillar, and to be vibration resistant and strong, they have to fit like a glove. Also, you can only mount them so low on the APillar due to internal obstructions. I have a set built and running them through a test phase to test strength and durability, as well as visibility and safety. The biggest concern is strength of the APillar after drilling holes. The APillar is pretty weak as it is, and after seeing some after effects of a roll over yesterday, an internal roll cage is a good idea, with or without drilling holes into the APillar. Anyways, here are a few preview pics of my product and don't have a release date or price on them yet. Sorry, I only had one side mounted at the time of the pictures.

Gecko_light_mount_1.jpg

Gecko_light_mount_2.jpg

Gecko_light_mount_3.jpg

Gecko_light_mount_4.jpg

njedgexj said:
i found a thread off another forum....his mounts were weldedim gonna just bolt them on instead...i liked his design for the brackets...

Is this the XJ you are talking about?
MoabAlex1.jpg

This is my buddy Alex's XJ, and it is the one that was rolled yesterday. His mounts are welded on, which was a real pain to do since the metal of the APillar is so thin. My mounts are bolt on by the way.

yeah thats the one.....i do have a welder and welding skills, but id rather bolt it on too, just in case i need it removed or it hits something and bends...sorry to hear about ur bud's rollover...thats a nice xj

GottaBeJeep said:
I've been working on something like this for awhile. They would seem easy to make, but there are a lot of bents and angles in the APillar, and to be vibration resistant and strong, they have to fit like a glove. Also, you can only mount them so low on the APillar due to internal obstructions. I have a set built and running them through a test phase to test strength and durability, as well as visibility and safety. The biggest concern is strength of the APillar after drilling holes. The APillar is pretty weak as it is, and after seeing some after effects of a roll over yesterday, an internal roll cage is a good idea, with or without drilling holes into the APillar. Anyways, here are a few preview pics of my product and don't have a release date or price on them yet. Sorry, I only had one side mounted at the time of the pictures.

Why not just run a bracket down from the safari rack and mount them on the bracket. One of the guys here with a white XJ and custom built rack did this and it looks good. You could use cb lip mounts to secure them down near the hood area... Just a quick thought.

RichP said:
Why not just run a bracket down from the safari rack and mount them on the bracket. One of the guys here with a white XJ and custom built rack did this and it looks good. You could use cb lip mounts to secure them down near the hood area... Just a quick thought.
My shameless pic.
hansonbumper.jpg

FarmerMatt said:
My shameless pic.
hansonbumper.jpg

Holy wrong attributes batman!

Resize taht pic so it aint got all that white. :D

mad maXJ said:
another good example of "it's not a matter of 'if', but a matter of 'when'"

i can't imagine spending that kind of money on a rig and not spending a couple hundred on a cage.
A cage was on the list, was waiting to buy a tube bender, so it would have been more than "spending a couple hundred".

if someone has a tech write-up i would love to see as i am interested in doin this mod myself. I was thinkin about lights on the safari rack but i like the idea with using the safari rack better. How did u do that with the safari rack anyways? the picture doesnt make it obvious to me i guess.

Wait until he gets that 'John-Dear' letter from his wife!
So now we know why they say hes gone green on us!
One less whitey out there.....
He said he was painting it green to camo it for the mountains.....he must not wheel in SoCal at all....we use 'deadwood tan' for mountain camo down here!!!
(I think I should stop now...before I say anything about welds!!)
Rick

Couldn't you just remove the side mirrors and mount the lights there? The side mirrors mount using 3 (Torx!:firedevil) screws, but there is also a big hole in the middle where the mirror controls go. Use that hole. A big washer should be all that is needed.

Then get some mirrors that mount on the door or something if you need to be street legal.

Now, you can open the door and shine the light like a spotlight. :roll:

Back