• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone have pics of their XJ w/o fender flares?

BuddhaBudz

NAXJA Forum User
Okay, I lost my rear fender flares about a year ago during separate off-roading trips in Arizona. I still have the front flares on. I am considering removing the front flares to match the rear (I went back to school and I can't really afford new rear flares plus labor). Anyone have any pictures of their XJ with the flares completely removed?

Bryan

BuddhaBudz said:
Okay, I lost my rear fender flares about a year ago during separate off-roading trips in Arizona. I still have the front flares on. I am considering removing the front flares to match the rear (I went back to school and I can't really afford new rear flares plus labor). Anyone have any pictures of their XJ with the flares completely removed?
Bryan

how about using search function?

You don't carry any tools with you. It doesn't exactly take a full shop to put flares back on. I too am at school but have completed many harder tasks in the parking lot with a pair of vice grips and an adjustable wrench.

I believe you just need a 10mm wrench (and a different size for the 2 bottom bolts). Pick up a cheap crappy one at harbor freight or somewhere and get a flare at a junkyard. With that said, I ran mine without flares after cutting, before chopping and re-mounting my flares higher. I liked the look, especially with the flare holes cut off and the metal bent back so that just the last bend in the metal was left with a smooth edge all around. If you're running stock rims it makes it look more balanced too because the tires will be even with the edge of the body instead of set way in from the flare.

Thank you XJ92. All I wanted was opinions on removing the front fender flares, not on my mechanical ability. Yeah, I am capable of doing some repairs on my Jeep. But I've yet to play around with fender flares. How was I supposed to know what tools I need for that job if I've never done it before?

MarksJeep.jpg

I removed my flares and liked the look. With no flares the wheel well liners protrude from the front fenders, but you could easily trim those down.

hth,
Mark

or just rip them out and fill the fender well with bedliner :)

XJMark said:
MarksJeep.jpg

I removed my flares and liked the look. With no flares the wheel well liners protrude from the front fenders, but you could easily trim those down.

hth,
Mark

I can email you pics of mine, I just can't post them. PM me if you want.

Nihil said:
or just rip them out and fill the fender well with bedliner :)

Or that. :)

96 Country: Did you just take off the fender flares, or did you do some cutting to get 'em like they are in the picture?

There more pictures I see, the more I am leaning towards taking off my fender flares - I like the look.

What about folks in more urban areas (e.g. Philadelphia, PA)..? Does anyone ever get hassled for having tires that poke out..? I guess this is a Daily Driver question.

The threat of additional harrassment has kept me from ripping those bad-boys off of there..

xjwoody said:
What about folks in more urban areas (e.g. Philadelphia, PA)..? Does anyone ever get hassled for having tires that poke out..? I guess this is a Daily Driver question.

The threat of additional harrassment has kept me from ripping those bad-boys off of there..

Mines a DD.

I did the same as 96Country. This pic shows the front alittle better. Let me know if they don't show up. I have probles with it sometimes.
156741825103_0_SM.jpg

JCSXJ said:
I did the same as 96Country. This pic shows the front alittle better. Let me know if they don't show up. I have probles with it sometimes.
156741825103_0_SM.jpg

Pictures didn't work...

I know it's a whole new thread, but... PA's laws are pretty strict about tires poking out...

Back