• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Half Leafs

LBEXJ

NAXJA Member #721
I know there is a thread currently going about axle wrap, and I don't want to steal his thead ...

After installing 4.88 gears and Detroits, I now have axle wrap pretty bad under hard acceleration. One of the modifications I did to my axle was to move the shock mounts up even with the side of the axle tube.

Question ... Has anyone installed half leafs into their spring packs and was it effective at controlling axle wrap to any degree? Right now I'm looking for alternatives to Traction or Ladder Bars ...

I read this article and it sounded fairly positive about it: http://www.jpmagazine.com/howto/16719/

Les

temp.jpg

Here is an alternative. the red is attached to the axle tube or spring plate on each side. the blue acts as a big shackle it will let the rear end move up and down but not rotate. I've heard of people using chain as the blue line instead of solid tubing. the front half of the spring will act as a link. This will put extra stress on the leafs.

I don't know if I would use this. It's just a suggestion. BTW I know my Illistration sucks.

Yes, the military wrap half-leaf, such as found on BIGOffroad's springs, controls axle wrap very effectively. It also limits spring flex very effectively, so pick your poison.

Nay

Consider the source. I subscribe to Jp Magazine because it's about Jeeps, but the only writer there who knows anything is Willie Worthy. Anything Cappa writes is automatically suspect.

Looks like the spring pack he's describing might help control spring wrap some, but it can't be as effective as a traction bar or torque bar. Not that the loose leaf above the main leaf actually contributes nothing to the spring rate unless the alignment clips are firmly clamped around the springs. And doing that limits flex, especially in droop.

If you spend your time on the street, you can probably accomplish much the same thing using a heavy overload leaf from a Comanche or Dakota spring pack.

<edit> See this: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=24966
</edit>

Nay said:
It also limits spring flex very effectively...

Eagle said:
If you spend your time on the street, you can probably accomplish much the same thing using a heavy overload leaf from a Comanche or Dakota spring pack.

Actually, I'm not building this spring pack for street use nor is reducing flex one of my goals.

Thanks for your input....

Les

lbexj said:
Actually, I'm not building this spring pack for street use nor is reducing flex one of my goals.

Sounds like you need to talk to Goatman.

Eagle said:
Sounds like you need to talk to Goatman.

I have, and also read several other posts from him on the same topic. I just was looking at his anti-wrap bar ... looks pretty simple and effective.

Still not overjoyed with my pack, thinking it may be the shocks. They flexed well without shocks. I had to use some "Gas Rider" shocks I had laying around. My "Rusty's" shocks were had too long a compressed length after moving the mounts up.

Still working ... making another plan ...

Thanks,

Les

Back