• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Leaky steering shaft seal in steering box

jammerjamesharmon

NAXJA Forum User
Please advise..........

My input shaft seal is leaking on my steering box and wondering if it is better to just replace the whole box or just go for the seal. If the box replacement is a better idea, where can good quality rebuilt units be had. Mine has a few miles, so I'm sure the gears have loosened up and that accounts for some of the slope in my steering.

All HELP is appreciated!!! :wierd:

james
www.geocities.com/jammerjamesharmon

If your teeth are worn just replace the box. If you replace the box look for a J20 or J10 Truck box, it will have a 3.5in bore piston in teh steerign box giving you more power, you should plate the fame mounting area also.

if your box is not slopy and jsut leakey, get the $50 rebuild kit, from Napa, or you can order it form www.westtexasoffroad.com

Here is a writeup on how to do it. you should also **** and tap your box for Hydraulic assist while you have it all apart.

http://www.wheelingarizona.com/index2.htm

DIY_HydraulicRamAssist.htm

Back