• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Question about Hanson bumper mounting (pic)

PhatXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Does anybody who's purchased a Hanson front winch bumper know if it comes with any sort of bracket like this?

orig.gif

The bracket essentially ties the side mount holes into the front of the crossmember, making them much stronger. Sometimes brackets like this will have welded nuts on the insides for the bolts.

In my opinion, those two front mounting holes are useless without some sort of added bracing like this.

Thanks.

PhatXJ said:
Does anybody who's purchased a Hanson front winch bumper know if it comes with any sort of bracket like this?

orig.gif

The bracket essentially ties the side mount holes into the front of the crossmember, making them much stronger. Sometimes brackets like this will have welded nuts on the insides for the bolts.

In my opinion, those two front mounting holes are useless without some sort of added bracing like this.

Thanks.

So you are buying the hanson, did you sell the winch one from AJ?, must admit the hanson one looks awesome, there is one for sale on JU.Sorry i was of no help.

ravi

No it doesn't, at least to my knowledge. In reality on a winch pull or a head on accident all the bolts are in shear. The bracket you show would be in tension. IMO it would ad little to the strength in those situations. It seems like it would add strength in an off angle winch pull or a side impact accident. I guess the real question is, is that type of bracket needed. I don't think it is. My Hanson's been mounted up for 3 years & I ripped an 8000lbs winch off the front of it earlier this year (broke the mounts on the winch). I wouldn't worry about adding that bracket.

Matt

The bracket you show appears to be the same one that comes as part of the OEM tow hook brackets that I got from DC dealer. If you want a stronger one and don't mind some drilling, why not go from side to side with some plate with the ends bent and "sister " up the existing stamped metal piece? The bumper I ordered from Terry at RigidCo (www.rigidco.com) came with the piece. Might check his site for pictures.

FarmerMatt said:
No it doesn't, at least to my knowledge. In reality on a winch pull or a head on accident all the bolts are in shear. The bracket you show would be in tension. IMO it would ad little to the strength in those situations. It seems like it would add strength in an off angle winch pull or a side impact accident. I guess the real question is, is that type of bracket needed. I don't think it is. My Hanson's been mounted up for 3 years & I ripped an 8000lbs winch off the front of it earlier this year (broke the mounts on the winch). I wouldn't worry about adding that bracket.

Matt

I see what you're sayin' Matt, but the bracket also provides added extra support in shear for those front two bolts. Then yes, the other two bolts (not shown) that go in front the front would be in tension, but they are mostly just there to hold the bracket there for the other two bolts, and welded in nuts if you choose to go that route.

The Custom4x4 tow hook brackets mount up similar, and so did both of my AJ's bumpers.

towhookbrackets.jpg

I also forgot to mention and failed to show it in my picture, but the bracket actually sandwiches the factory rail that sticks out there that has the two holes in it.

Also, I don't know about the rest of you guys, but the piece of steel that protrudes straight out in front right there with the two holes has very little meat in front of the holes. It wouldn't take much to tear through.

Thanks for the help, I can build something like that no problem, was just curious.

Just so you guys know what I'm talking about, I went out and took a very poor picture of my frame right there.

My stock bumper is just basicly setting on there as it's just temporary.

standard.jpg

You can see the factory bumper bracket behind it..... that has no significance. Other than that, you can see the lack of 'meat' I'm speaking of, especially in the top one.

Oh well, I'll fix it. It's not going to keep me from getting a Hanson.

Rav, I sold my AJ's bumper. He and I were going to come up with a new prototype fancy bumper but then he got sick and I can't wait for a new one because I am without any tow points up front without a bumper, so I'm gonna order up a new Hanson.

I think I see a place you forgot to wax. :D

If your that worried about it just weld some metal in there. Aren't you running c-roks or ORGS frame reinforment? That would fancy it up.

You don't need no stinkin' winch! How's about I trade you the bumper that's on my XJ for your winch since it's just sitting there collecting dust? :shhh:

Ok fine, keep it. Want me to ship you a couple of those brackets? Got a few extras anyways.

Back