• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cheapest replacement hedder?

Diablito

NAXJA Forum User
My girlfriend just bought a 92' XJ and it has a crack in the exhaust manifold. She needs to have it SMOGed before she can regester it. we are looking for the cheapest replacement part we can find, either aftermarket or OEM. Any recomendations as far as brands or websites would be great. Thanks in advance. :banghead: Also any recomendations as far as RTV to use when installing it would be good too.

Weld it up on the jeep. It will hold long enough to get smogged. As for RTV I used a thin layer of copper manifold silicone.

The only reason I don't want to pull one from the bone yard is all the extra work I'll have to put into pulling 2 hedders instead of one :repair: . I'd try having the crack welded before I go that route.But I'll pull one before using an OEM replacement.any good cheap after market hedders that I should consider?

It takes all of an hour to pull the header of your jeep. Pull it off and weld it up. If it is in really bad shape go to the bone yard, even if you have to pull it yourself it doesn't take very long because you don't have to be carefull with anything. It only takes a screw driver and a socket set to pull it.

Check out ebay

Just watch out for high shipping charges.

An hour! Iwas thinking more like 3. My only experience has been with a chevy and that was a pain in the butt, we had to make a tool to do it. I guess I'll pull it and see if I can't get it welded. Its a 92' , if I go to the junk yard what years can I use as a donor? How much should i expect to pay at a salvage yard for a header? I'll be sure to check out ebay if we go the new route. :skull1:

Why bother just to pass emssions I passed it twice with a cracked manifold but I am going to have to do something because it now just fell apart I think I am going to change out the manifold because welding it back I think will just fall apart again.

do you think it would Pass? I thought trying would be a waste of time, but I could always try at one of those pass or free retest places. I'd eventually like to fix it if for no other reason than the enviroment. But for a few weeks it'd be fine. Its worth a try i guess.

You remove the intake, throttle body, and fuel rail. Then you just undo the manifold bolts. If you haven't ever taken anything about it will probably take you a while but you have to learn sometime. Any 91-96 HO manifold will work, even the non HO manifold will bolt up. The 97+ models have two cast manifolds.

I saw the one on ebay, it was buy it now for only $89 and $18 shiping. Not a bad deal. I'll still take it to my welder and see iff he will do it "un-properly " for a few bucks with his MIG if it'll last a few years. If he won't do it I'll either go the salvage yard route or by that one on ebay. is there anything I should worry about with taking of the throttle body or the fuel line. Should I disconnect the sensors or depresurize the fuel system? If so how? I have a Chiltons manual for wrangler YJ but not for XJ but a 4.0 is a 4.0 right? Thanks you guys have been alot of help thus far. :sunshine:

Cheapest = one at a pick your part type boneyard.

Otherwise, get it welded and have them add reinforcement plates between where the small 2 tubes join the large one, it should hold forever if done properly.

Depending on your year, there might be a valve on the fuel tube that feeds the injectors to depressurize. The quick disconnects are easy.

Got smoged today and passed the emissions but failed vissual for a dry rotted gromet on the PCV valve. He wanted to fail me for the K&N Filter on the rusty air tube but after I started yelling at him that it was 50 state legal and CARB certified he backed off. His boss even scolded him for putting the K&N on the print out as a fail. SMOG always makes me mad. It was pass or free retest with repairs and he folded and said he would do a free retest if i switched it myself when I asked him how much it would cost for him to fix the little grommet.

Back