• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Parking Brake Cable

jeepguy97

NAXJA Forum User
I've noticed this seems to be common to all XJ's. The right rear parking brake cable hangs way down almost below the axle. I was wondering if anyone has a dealt with this prob and can make some suggestions before a rock has its day with my parking brake.

I noticed the same thing on my 99 with 3'' of lift... we were out on the trail and i thought it was damage, so I zip-tied it to the axle tube about 8'' from the leaf spring perch.. that was 2 years ago.. no more danger. It's up and out of the way. The parking brake still works fine and only cost me about .0012 cents. How's that for a cheapie!

The issue comes when you get in to larger lifts... I can't get enough cable for my 88 with 6'' of lift. it stays tight, and even rubs on the muffler at full droop. I worry about melting the cable in the wrong situation, or pulling it out from the underside of the body.
Anyone have a fix for this one??

Use YJ brakelines all around. Even at 2" my lines were tight and that wasnt even at full droop.

They are a fair bit longer and the e-brake cables will work too.

Fergie

I always notice that on the newer XJs. Older ones have a little spring thingy that holds them up out of harms way.

Might head to the junkyard and see if you can retrofit one to yours?

Fergie said:
Use YJ brakelines all around. Even at 2" my lines were tight and that wasnt even at full droop.

They are a fair bit longer and the e-brake cables will work too.

Fergie

For the e-brake cables you use YJ...but use the right side cable for both XJ cables. The look on the guy's face behind the counter at Napa when I asked for two of them... :roll:

FWIW, the right side cables are about 18" longer and are WAY MORE than enough to get you by. :) Zip tie to the axle tube is almost a must.

ECKSJAY said:
For the e-brake cables you use YJ...but use the right side cable for both XJ cables. The look on the guy's face behind the counter at Napa when I asked for two of them... :roll:

FWIW, the right side cables are about 18" longer and are WAY MORE than enough to get you by. :) Zip tie to the axle tube is almost a must.
Did not know that about the right hand cables. Napa didnt have the cables in stock when I went, so I only have one of the e-brake cables right now. I am still running the stock ones right now, so thanks for the heads up about the lengths.

Fergie

Something else you can do to keep the YJ e-brake cables up and out of the way is to cross them over above the driveshaft. That'll chew up a couple of inches of length.

ChiXJeff said:
Something else you can do to keep the YJ e-brake cables up and out of the way is to cross them over above the driveshaft. That'll chew up a couple of inches of length.

Yeah mine do that...and then run the length of the axle tubes. Insane amount of length those things have...

For those taht dont want to buy new longer cables, (Which you shuld do anyways) Just simply unbolt the shocks, and shimmy teh cable up above the bolt and then put your shock back on. This held mine up out of the way until I got new ones that I routed above teh axle and over teh D shaft. That will even save you teh .12 for a zip tie!

Sorry to bring this back up again. I have a 94, and I am planning on upgrading my e-brake lines. I understand what needs to be replaced, but what I dont know is how to install the new e-brake lines. I have just basic mechanical knowledge and tools, so basically what I am asking is should I attempt to replace the cables myself or should I just pay somebody to do it for me? And if I were to try to do it myself is there a write up or something that I could refer too? Thanks.

Back