• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Whats up with this lift?

mike18

NAXJA Forum User
I just want to get a little 2" lift for my 89 xj to clear a larger tire.. Ive always heard that with a 3"lift you can only fit 31's on an xj.. so im guessing with the 2" i could maybe get 30's on?

Its a stock xj I just got 15 x 7 black rockcrawler wheels.. now i am thinking about buying the cherokee budget lift from
http://www.rocky-road.com/xjsus.html.

will i need to buy any other parts in order for this lift to work right?
What are the biggest tires i can get on with this lift?

thanks,
mike

first off the biggest tire without getting into trimming would be a 30x9.5 as for the other parts you may need maybe new shocks (but you could run stock ones but they would limit droop) and that would be it as far as I recall. That is the lift I started with. plus when you want to go bigger then all you gotta do is put that lift on top of a new one.
hope this helps.
DIG IT!

That lift uses a shackle lift in the back which eill wear out your stock leaf springs in no time. Just somethin to think about, like you needed something else. :confused1

my stock leaf spring already seems to be pretty worn..... so ill be replacing that soon i guess.. so any advice on what company leaf spring i shoud get?

ive been reading up and there seems to be some debate whether i would need new shocks or not.. the shocks were replaced in 97.. they are monroe shocks.

if i do need to get new shocks... do i need to get longer ones?

if so i was thinkin i would get Doetsch Tech dt8000 shocks. I hear good things about these
mike

rustys make a nice 3" lift with full leaf packs and shocks for $420. add an adjustable track bar and your done. at that age you might need new control arm bushings and new steering stabilizer.

I was told I could run 30x 9.5s with no rubbing. But with any (500+ pounds)weight, the front and back hit the flares. No grinding just a little brushing. I am going to trim the flares.

Don't get wild agressive on the tread pattern on a 9.5 unless you only play on hardpack. skinny agressive tires will get you "to the floorboards" stuck in mud or sand if you are not very very careful.

MudDawg said:
Don't get wild agressive on the tread pattern on a 9.5 unless you only play on hardpack. skinny agressive tires will get you "to the floorboards" stuck in mud or sand if you are not very very careful.

I can't see them being any worse than regular ATs. Why would an aggressive pattern not be better for mud or sand? Do you mean just the driver thinking hes mr. bigshot and that he can take it all on just cuz hes got big lugs? lol I'm just about ready to put on a set of "skinny agressive tires" to get me by until i can afford bigger ones after lift and I'm just curious why you say this?

30X10.50 will definatly rub the LCAs at full lock on a stock XJ. 31X9.50s will fit with no lift if you trim the fenders. Just a thought if you really want swampers with no lift.

I'm running 31" BFG's on a stock 91. Rubbing like mad when I hit a speedbump. They were put on by the previous owner. Rusty's 3" is sitting in my shed.... waiting.....

A skinny aggressive tire will tend to dig down to the bottom of whatever it is you've got yourself into. Its not as big of a problem when you have a larger (taller) tire because you won't get hung up as quickly and might find a solid base, but with a short tire you will find you will dig down and get hung up on your axles before you find a good base. I would try to fit atleast a 10.50 wide tire if you want an aggresive tread.

All terrains float more than an aggressive tire, something to consider when you have such limited ground clearance.

Fryphax said:
A skinny aggressive tire will tend to dig down to the bottom of whatever it is you've got yourself into. Its not as big of a problem when you have a larger (taller) tire because you won't get hung up as quickly and might find a solid base, but with a short tire you will find you will dig down and get hung up on your axles before you find a good base. I would try to fit atleast a 10.50 wide tire if you want an aggresive tread.

All terrains float more than an aggressive tire, something to consider when you have such limited ground clearance.

True dat on the skinny tire. Had a nasty batch of mud to go through a few weeks ago, I run 30x9.50 MT/Rs. Although it took a few tries, I made it through and up (open diffs too).

http://community.webshots.com/photo/135507757/135514779tNAFnT

I disagree about the tire selection though, get whatever you want. Other than a set of Michelin LTX A/Ts (before I knew any better), I've always run agressive tires, and I would never go back to an A/T, even though I see more pavement than trail use. I had absolute praise about the 30" BFG MTs I ran several years back, and have nothing but praise for the 30" MT/Rs I run now.

I wasn't recomending him to buy an AT, just wanted him to understand what he was getting himself into with the narrow MT. I've run a good number of tires and theres a reason im going with 14.50 wides instead of 12.50s

i have my second set of GY Wrangler AT/Ss on my DD and i hardly ever hear of anyone else running them.. they are a pretty aggressive AT tire but do great in all but sticky mud... check them out on www.tirerack.com i run 30x9.50s but i think they are available up to 33s.....

mike

Back