• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

idles good cold, not warm

DPC

NAXJA Forum User
I think it is a sensor and I am hoping you guys have the magic answer. When I fire it up cold, all is normal. When it is warm at idle it seems to be missing and irratic but not any higher on the idle speed. Drives the same either way down the road

Any thoughts

1990 w/4.0 aw4 242tcase

Re: idles good cnld, eot warm

Sounds similar to what Im chasing,usual assortment of new parts and `lot ef testH`g sensors has't completely so pe it yet.The biggest difference I made so far was trying a junkyard coHd ,to c`ap to "ty new just to Rhe, butphe slight miss is still there and it is a random type miss.Other than the goofy idle rDbs fineŒ08 mpg.

How many miles? Erratic idle could be a vacuum leak, could be worn distributor bushings.

Also, how many miles on the oxygen sensor?

My 99 has been doing this for a while also. Only at idle and it is worse on some days than others. Recently though, I noticed that when I have it in gear (AT) and I'm just letting it coast with the brake off, instead of just haven't the stumble/misfire, it will surge with the misfire. My engine only has 20,000 on it (warranty replaced), but my 02 my wires, and distributor all have 60,000. Any help would be great.

marcus

DPC said:
I think it is a sensor and I am hoping you guys have the magic answer. When I fire it up cold, all is normal. When it is warm at idle it seems to be missing and irratic but not any higher on the idle speed. Drives the same either way down the road

Any thoughts

Your '90 is a Renix (non-HO), the same as my '88. So we would generally follow a similar trouble-shooting routine.

I hope you're at least slightly aware of how your injection system works. During warm-up, the ECU ignores sensor feedback and operates in a default, fuel-rich mode according to a pre-set fuel map. This mode is also called "open-loop" because there's no feedback.

Once the engine warms up, the system switches over to "closed loop" operation and uses data from the oxygen sensor, coolant temperature sensor (not the one for the dash gauge), throttle position sensor, and I think a couple of others to control both air/fuel mix and ignition timing. The O2 sensor is a "consumable" -- it requires periodic replacement. The recommended interval is 80,000 miles, but I assume they are like light bulbs -- the rated life is an average, and some will last longer while others will fail sooner.

The last time the O2 sensor went bad on my '88 I noticed it at the point where the system switched over from open-loop to closed-loop. This was typically about 10 minutes down the road from a cold start. I have a 5-speed, and I began to notice a little "Pop" sort of manifold backfire each time I shifted. Then I noticed some occasional stumbling when running at partial throttle. Finally got smart and realized that the O2 sensor was dying, and when I let off the gas pedal (which results in an instantaneous rich mix because the throttle plate shuts down), the O2 sensor wasn't reacting quick enough to shut down the injectors. As a result I was dumping a little bit of unburned fuel down the exhaust, and it was backfiring up the manifold when it hit the catalytic converter.

A new O2 sensor removed all those symptoms. Note that I caught it fairly early. If I had an automatic rather than a 5-speed I doubt I would have noticed anything, because with an auto you don't let off the pedal for upshifts. My symptoms were very mild and didn't affect driveability very noticeably. I had not seen any drop in gas mileage yet. Dunno how long I could have gone before the symptoms because more evident.

Some of what you describe sounds similar to the effects I'd expect from faulty sensor feedback. It runs fine when cold because it ignores all sensor input, then when it gets into closed-loop mode the problems show up. So I think you should be looking at the sensors. O2 is the one that requires periodic replacement, that's why I asked how many miles on it. Coolant temp sensor is the one on the driver's side of the block. I doubt that's the problem, but that's the one that tells the ECU when the engine is "warm." TPS is a possibility, especially with a crappy idle, and the factory service manual has a good discussion on adjusting and trouble-shooting that puppy.

Hope this helps.

Good points from Eagle. I would like to add a couple additional thoughts. My experience w. my 89 has shown that 90% of the time it is the cps or its connector. Just the other day it would randomly run bad and miss at idle and on throttle but only when warmed up fully (consistently only at warmup never when cold a few times each day for a couple of days). I discod the cps connector and looked inside and one of the female connectors was stetched open more than the other. Since the cps only generates less than one volt on the Renix system the connector is critical. I rebuilt the connector and the problem went away (been 2 wks now). This is the second time I have had to rebuild this connector in the last couple of yrs. Note the female side of the connector is on the wire harness side and does not get changed w. a cps replacement. The heat from the engine and vibration caused the slightly loose connector to expand and make the connection worse. Not sure its your problem but just another thing to look into. Good Luck. Greg

Thanks for all the responses. The O2 has about 6000 miles on it. I did have the same missfire that Eagle stated but that fixed it. Now it is just spurratic. I will look at the CPS and connector tomorrow. Thanks again

Back