• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cloth to leather seats/manual vs motorized mechanism '91 XJ

Don Becker

NAXJA Forum User
My wife is asking me to try to locate a nice set of grey leather seats for her 91XJ and I have a friend putting it out on the hotline. I've been checking at teh local "U-Pull-It" but, the interiors are generally pretty beat and picked-over before I see them there.

Here's my question . . . . I know I can just compare between my '88 Limited and her '91 "plain-Jane". . . . 'just haven't gotten around to it . . . . she has manual-adjust seats and she's perfectly happy with that, the leather seats are likely to come off of an XJ with motorized seat mechanism's and I don't want to go farther with this than to put the leather seat assemblies onto her manual-adjust seat frames. I doubt there will be any mounting issues but I just thought I'd ask. Thanks! Don

Don Becker said:
My wife is asking me to try to locate a nice set of grey leather seats for her 91XJ and I have a friend putting it out on the hotline. I've been checking at teh local "U-Pull-It" but, the interiors are generally pretty beat and picked-over before I see them there.

Here's my question . . . . I know I can just compare between my '88 Limited and her '91 "plain-Jane". . . . 'just haven't gotten around to it . . . . she has manual-adjust seats and she's perfectly happy with that, the leather seats are likely to come off of an XJ with motorized seat mechanism's and I don't want to go farther with this than to put the leather seat assemblies onto her manual-adjust seat frames. I doubt there will be any mounting issues but I just thought I'd ask. Thanks! Don

wait till she sits down in shorts this summer on those leather seats. You should hear her screaming from the local shopping center even if you live 10 miles away. Unless your cloth seats are shot, I'd keep'em !

I'd second that advice, cloth is much better, unless your wife likes a hot red hiney, or in yer case it may look like she got spanked on her tushy. :dunce:

After looking into it myself, the leather seats were just the same as my 88' cloth ones. Not anymore comfort. They will bolt right onto the manual brackets without a problem. I did put in a leather back seat. I had a 2001 Tahoe with leather seats and it sucked in the summer with shorts on. Juice

been there, done that, love it.

the frames are interchangable. on the bottom of the seat are four bolts holding the bottom foam on. unbolt them, then unbolt the frame from the top. also if you have one busted seat like I did(in the lower section) the good passenger side is interchangable. The covers just unzip off the seats. Swap the good section in and go. Also, be aware, mine is a 90' and the donor was an 89'. the way the upper rear seat mounted was different so I had to change the cover to my old rear frame too. I dont know about 91' but knowing jeep, it is probably different for yours too

Dan

Re: Cloth to leather seats/manual vs m.porhzediechanir` '91 XJ

D`anjs t all fo thd in&` and advice. Yea, I know 'bout the summer heat . . . my '88 Limitdd h p the leather, ` course . . . .%but, I havd thh cnver$` with lambs-wool covers . . . . yea, I know, I could just swap with her and put the co&`rs onto her clNph reatb$ in my '88..... ................. I also had lambs wool covers on her cloth seats but she doesN t like€phel. H$ll just sed wh@x turns-up nn txd hotsheet search. Again, I appreicate the input and experience. I do knov ho& the seats are construcdd, hav©bg r&r'd a coup<` of driver's seats and/or mechanisms in the '88, over its years. Don

Back