• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CLANG! What was that?

mtxbigtruckin

NAXJA Forum User
So my '96 XJ with 32's and 4 1/2" lift runs fine in 2wd, runs good in 4wd if I'm just cruising, but if I get on it and hammer down in 4x4 I get some nasty Clang! Clang! from the front end. I let off and it will drive normal again in 4x4. Doesn't happen when I get on it in 2wd, like at a stop light or something.

Front U-joints are fine, wheel bearings are new as are ball joints.

My driveshaft is newly rebuilt as is the t-case.

What could be the problem? front end? T-case? driveshaft?

Thanks for the help.

Brian
96 XJ
66 CJ

Ckeck your motor mounts. I found out the front end clunk in my XJ came from a bad MM. I had the wife stand on the brake in gear while reving the motor. I could see the motor move up and down. The rubber had completely disintegrated in the mount and the bolt was hitting the outer metal part of the mount.

karstic said:
Ckeck your motor mounts. I found out the front end clunk in my XJ came from a bad MM. I had the wife stand on the brake in gear while reving the motor. I could see the motor move up and down. The rubber had completely disintegrated in the mount and the bolt was hitting the outer metal part of the mount.

:wstupid: :greensmok

karstic said:

Damn! :eek:

karstic said:

if it were the motor mount, it shouldn't only happen in 4wd. The motor mount would cause noises in 2wd as well.

TRL WGN 1 said:
if it were the motor mount, it shouldn't only happen in 4wd. The motor mount would cause noises in 2wd as well.

When my motor mount went it didn't make any noise in 2wd. I only noticed it when I was in 4lo. Not saying that he has the same problem, just something to check out.

TRL WGN 1 said:

I only noticed my clunk in 4wd, until I put enough torque on the motor to get it to move it 2wd.

Just another option to look at. Its a lot easier to look for a blown motor mount than it is to tear apart a t-case.

Back