• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Soaked Interior NEED HELP!!!!!

XJ_in_Canada

NAXJA Forum User
:banghead: I've had my XJ for only a week now and feel like dumping it. :banghead:

:mad: Got up this morning after a night of heavy rain fall and on the drivers side the foot well was soaked, the drivers seat partially soaked, up above my had wher the cloth meets the window is drenched. :mad:

At this point I'm a very unhappy Jeeper.... Feel like putting it back on the sellers market, and dump it.

Would this be an easy thing to control? I would like to stop the water from entering. The windsheild was replaced by the shop prior to the sale.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

You note that the windshield was replaced, so I'd look there first for a poorly sealed edge - not that uncommon. A second place to look is at the well nuts that hold the roof rack on. These are rubber expanding anchors, and if one of them breaks it can dump a good deal of water in. They're pretty easy to replace. Finally, you might also check for cracking or separation in the roof gutter (where there's a weld seam for the roof panel), though I think that usually occurs near the back rather than over the driver's seat.

Generally, when it rains inside my XJ, I put the sunroof back in, but that dosen't seem to be your problem. If the head unit is wet, I would check the roofrack. Mine pulled out partially and it leaked for a while. On a 91 it should be held on by rubber well nuts, which are around $3.00 a piece from the dealer.

Hey XJ_in_Canada,

What Mathew said.

Given that it's going to be raining for the next two days, you might want to put some tape(electrical?) along the seam where the roof line meets the windshield trim/bezel until the problem is dealt with. Also, check that you are not missing any of the roof rack retaining bolts. These are visible through the big holes along the roo rack track.

BTW, I went to your website. I know that parking lot -- Canadian Tire on the Queensway? I work in the neighborhood.
My XJ has same color scheme, and custom rear bumper -- don't forget to wave.

P.S.
Don't eat at that taco bell. You'll be sorry.

Another thing to check if it's not the winshield: Remove the door panels to verify that the "water dam" panels are still stuck to the door. I peeled mine away to install speakers and unknowingly didn't stick them back on properly. Two years of flooded floors I finally took it to an auto body shop with a rain simulator. They urethaned it back on and no more floods.

P.S. Don't eat at ANY Taco Bell...you will be sorry;)

Back