• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

aluminum rim rock rash repair

TekkaMaki

NAXJA Member #672
Scraped up the centerlines pretty good on Saturday, most is just cosmetic but 2 of them are enough to make me want to repair them. The pics are a little blurry but basicallly theres a ~2" and a ~4" section that are serrated sharp like a Ginsu knife:

OFR_02.jpg

OFR_01.jpg

I'm thinking I could maybe deflate them and wedge the tire back enough with my knee so I can ease the edges with a conical grinding bit in the Dremel, does that sounds like a good idea or if not what would be better?

Thanks!

I would completely demount the tire and grind it down to where it is smooth. If you hit a curb or compress the tire into that sharp scuff it will slice a hole in the tire for sure. ive seen it happen to my girl friends car--same scenerio.

I finished repairing the worst of the two rims (no beadlocks :farmer: ), it wasn't as bad as it looked really but it definitely needed attention or the sidewall would have gotten ripped. I put up pictures and a write up HERE for anyone that might be interested.

Back