• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Flat towing & trailer wires - XJ to XJ

Dano

NAXJA Member #1269
so, i have 2 cherokees and since i can't just have someone take me places to drop one off for service or modifications, allignments, ect. around town. I am going to have both set up for towing. possably towing each other, and whatever else i need to haul around.

I have a couple questions. Which XJ would be ideal for towing?
'99 - Auto is built, lockers, 4.5 lift 33's & 4.56 gears.
'93 - Manual is stock (3.55 gears & 30's) and still need to install skids and hitch. will be installing a BB soon.

Next question. i will have the the T connectors for the trailer wiring.
I plan to just run a trailer wire from the rear of the '99 to the front and just use the trailer flat-4 plug to energise the ARB bullbar blinkers.

Now if i were to flat tow the '99 with the '93 could I just unplug the ARB blinkers and plug both hitch wiring harness together and be using the '99 brake lights and blinkers in conjunction with the '93?

I would think this should work. I would just like you opinions on these things.

Also I am not new to towing things with my '99 have hauled about 6 cars around on tow dollys and flat towed my buddy's Built XJ (8" w/ 35's) a far way after his transmission crapped out on out way back from Moab.

Thanks,
Dan :bunny:

The XJ with manual tranny is rated to tow 2,000 pounds. An XJ in street trim weighs (according to 1999 sales brochures) between 3200 and 3400 pounds. That's more than 50% above the rated capacity.

The XJ with automatic, if properly equipped, is rated to tow 5000 pounds.

I think you can see where I'm going with this.

I would not screw around trying to splice the two vehicles' electrical systems together. Go to Wal-Mart, spend $30 on one of those magnetic mount auxiliary trailer light sets, and call it a day. Then your only problem will be finding a way to activate the towed vehicle's brakes, 'cause trying to stop 2 XJs with one set of brakes is not for the faint of heart.

Back