• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ARBs in cold weather

jeo

NAXJA Forum User
I've been told that ARB lockers (the compressors, i should say) don't hold up well in cold weather. Anyone have experience running ARBs in weather below -20? I'm in Canada, and yes, I do wheel when it's that cold, and that's the worst time to have something fail. Oh, and is it a different locker for the 27 and 29 spline? I have a 98, and therefore assume that I have a 29. Thanks!

WEll, I haven't had weather quite that cold in awhile, but I do live in Northern WI and it does get pretty cold here. I've had my ARB compressor for quite a few years now and don't ever remember cold being a problem. I believe the mounting area for the can that is the storage tank warped some time. There is an O ring between the can and the mounting area and I had a little corrosion where the O-ring seats as well as the slight warp. I've taken it apart, cleaned the surfaces, lubed the O-ring and reinstalled the can taking care of the tiny leak. The compressor will get hot all by itself just running, so I would think cold might actually be good for it. Extreme cold is hard on pretty much any moving part though. That's about all I can tell you. Jeff

You might have problems with condensation in the air lines. I have a low rider with air bags and have problems from time to time when the temp drops. It has a pressure switch that has a very small hole that ice forms in. That would be a problem that you could run into if there are any small hole per-say.

I am by no means an expert on the subject, but it does get pretty cold in AK in the winter (-35 stuff in town, colder out in BFE). The only problem that I’ve heard of was the airlines cracking and developing pinhole leaks. Most guys spring for the stainless steel lines and they seem to hold up well.

I'm curious if this is really problem - my thought is that if the engine is warm then the air pump is warm (if it is located in the engine bay). If the truck has been driving then the diffs are warm as well. If you are running the plastic (ugh) air lines then that could be an issue.

I guess what I'm saying is that I wouldn't worry about it as long as the truck is well warmed up before you start using them.

I don't have any cold weather experience with these (yet) but the premise of you post smells like "Detroit locker FUD". Where did you hear this?

Jus9t my spin.

r@m

Root Moose said:
I'm curious if this is really problem - my thought is that if the engine is warm then the air pump is warm (if it is located in the engine bay). If the truck has been driving then the diffs are warm as well. If you are running the plastic (ugh) air lines then that could be an issue.

I guess what I'm saying is that I wouldn't worry about it as long as the truck is well warmed up before you start using them.

I don't have any cold weather experience with these (yet) but the premise of you post smells like "Detroit locker FUD". Where did you hear this?

Jus9t my spin.

r@m
The thing I'm thinking is that after being warm and cooling off, condensation will get in the lines, freeze and break things. I heard it from my local shop, guys I trust, but they're not all that experienced with ARBs.

Root Moose said:

Jus9t my spin.

r@m

Root Moose if you are insinuating that I prefer Detroit Lockers to ARBs and would try to slander them your post missed its mark. I do not own either one nor do I have a vested interest in which one you buy. It’s your money; buy whichever one you like. As for me, if all goes well I’ll be putting in a Lock Right this summer. Not because I think that it’s the best, but because it’s cheap, easy and what I can afford. If someone else was footing the bill I’d be more than happy to use an ARB, Detroit, or Eaton E-Locker :yelclap: The information is from a buddy that is running ARBs in an F-150 and has had air line leak/crack issues and the local 4x4 shop (NOT the sales people, but the actual customers coming in complaining of problems). I was referring to the “stock” plastic ones, hence the “upgrade” to the stainless steel ones. I’m not trying to imply that the ARBs are inferior in any way. Just suggesting an upgrade to save someone some time and effort down the road.

Last edited:
Wiley Coyote said:
Root Moose if you are insinuating that I prefer Detroit Lockers to ARBs and would try to slander them your post missed its mark. I do not own either one nor do I have a vested interest in which one you buy. It’s your money; buy whichever one you like. As for me, if all goes well I’ll be putting in a Lock Right this summer. Not because I think that it’s the best, but because it’s cheap, easy and what I can afford. If someone else was footing the bill I’d be more than happy to use an ARB, Detroit, or Eaton E-Locker :yelclap: The information is from a buddy that is running ARBs in an F-150 and has had air line leak/crack issues and the local 4x4 shop (NOT the sales people, but the actual customers coming in complaining of problems). I was referring to the “stock” plastic ones, hence the “upgrade” to the stainless steel ones. I’m not trying to imply that the ARBs are inferior in any way. Just suggesting an upgrade to save someone some time and effort down the road.

For the record, my post was in no way meant to be a counter point to your post - I was responding to the original poster. Far be it from me to try to insinuate anything or put any words in someone elses mouth.

If you met me in person you'd get that impression pretty quickly. I'm VERY laid back and don't really care enough about what other people think of different products to get excited about it. Like you, run what you want. I'm too lazy to try to mold people to my way of thinking. LOL

That being said, in my experience there is a bunch of people out there (on-line and otherwise - 4x4 shops and club members in particular) that either don't understand ARBs, don't want to take the steps to beef them ($$$) up (via real lines, different wiring, etc.) and/or run some other locker and can't get past the feeling that "if it's on my truck it has to be best". This includes some shops that do install/service ARB equipped trucks.

Just my spin.

r@m

Last edited:
Back