• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Diff. Temp.

shapps13

NAXJA Forum User
I changed gears in my Dana 35, from 3:07 to 4:10, and went with used gears. This is the first gear setup for me and got the pattern pretty good, have been running them for about a month and have changed the lube one time already. I have been adding Kal-Gard engine guard to the lube,it is a moly additive. I really don't have anything to compare the temp. to, never checked it with the 3:07's but after a 25 mile trip the diff is pretty warm. Is it because the gears are used, I set my pinion preload to spec. but set my backlash to the low side of the tolerance and preloaded the carrier bearings about .004 per side. Should I be concerned ? Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Bill

shapps13 said:
I changed gears in my Dana 35, from 3:07 to 4:10, and went with used gears. This is the first gear setup for me and got the pattern pretty good, have been running them for about a month and have changed the lube one time already. I have been adding Kal-Gard engine guard to the lube,it is a moly additive. I really don't have anything to compare the temp. to, never checked it with the 3:07's but after a 25 mile trip the diff is pretty warm. Is it because the gears are used, I set my pinion preload to spec. but set my backlash to the low side of the tolerance and preloaded the carrier bearings about .004 per side. Should I be concerned ? Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Bill

Any gear whine? That would be the biggest indicator and of couse finding excessive amounts for wear metal between oil changes.

BTW what's the Kal-gard cost?

Recently re-geared the D30 in mine.shop owner said as long as the temp stayed under 180* everything was OK,Temp on mine was 154* after a 10 mile run.Everything was set on the tight side.
Temp was taken with one of those IR gunson the housing at the pinion snout.
The 180* temp was the temp when the seals were to fail,where he got this number I do not know
Wayne

I'm guessing that the temp. is right around 150,I can hold my hand on it for a fairly long time,it's not so hot that I pull my hand off right away. I have a pyrometer on my multimeter that I will have to check it with. The KalGard is about $10 per 8oz. bottle from my friend who is a dist. here in PA. He runs a microsprint and uses this stuff in the transmission. He swears by it. I have also used it in the transmission of my tractor and it makes a difference. I will steal the XJ from my wife today and check the temp. after a 10 mile run.
Bill

Finally got to check the temp. today, and it maxes out at 134 F. This is after letting it sit about 10 min. after a 20 mile trip. As far as I can tell there was no metal in the fluid and the gears,although used,seemed to be O.K. with no sharp edges or chunks missing so far. Gear noise I would say is at a min., can't tell because of the exhaust, but it certainly doesn't have a howl when you are on the throttle or let off to coast.
Thanks,
Bill

shapps13 said:
Finally got to check the temp. today, and it maxes out at 134 F. This is after letting it sit about 10 min. after a 20 mile trip. As far as I can tell there was no metal in the fluid and the gears,although used,seemed to be O.K. with no sharp edges or chunks missing so far. Gear noise I would say is at a min., can't tell because of the exhaust, but it certainly doesn't have a howl when you are on the throttle or let off to coast.
Thanks,
Bill
i don't have anything technical to base this on, but that sounds just fine. heck, some places in Arizona and such have 134 as the air temperature

Back