• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front end clunk that comes and goes...strange...

SyCo

NAXJA Forum User
98 XJ, 61K miles, 4.0L, AX-15, 2" BB with 30" MT/Rs, open diff(s).

While fourwheeling I have a strange clunk coming from the front end. At first I thought it was my disco'd sway bar smacking my front hitch (sounds just like it), but it's not. Sometimes, it will be really bad, and gets worse the faster I go. Doesn't matter if I'm in 2HI or 4LO, it clunks. It's very difficult to pinpoint the sound unless you're under the vehicle while it's moving, but it sounds like it's coming somewhere between the t-case and the front pinion. Does not sound/look like hubs/axle shaft u-joints.

I figure maybe it's the driveshaft u-joints, but if this was the case wouldn't they constantly clunk? The more I flex my rig, the worse the clunk gets, and if I'm driving on flat ground it's steady with how fast the tires are turning. But then suddenly it will disappear, as if nothing is wrong at all. On the road it's as smooth as glass, no clunks, pops, vibrations, DW, etc.

I can't pinpoint when the clunk will start/stop, it's almost as if it occurs at random. Any ideas? Thanks in advance. Lloyd.

Could be any number of things. If you have a friend come over and turn the wheels on the ground you might be able to duplicate it and see where it is coming from. Main things to check is track bar mount, ball joiints and steering linkages.

Rabbit

Track bar, or check your hubs..simple enough to check...happened to me on a few different occasions. Cant tell for sure without seeing or hearing it.

Back