• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TJ shafts and bearings

REDXJ4FUN

NAXJA Forum User
I know its been covered but i need to refresh my meomrie. I have a set of TJ shafts with bearings. I know the shafts will bolt in but isn't there a issue that inorder to use the new hubs on 89 you need to use a spacer? II wasn't planing on using them but a bearing is going bad and i'm not ready for my hub conversion yet and i have a jamborie next weekend at oakridge and i don't want any problems while i'm there or on the road.

I put a set in a 88 XJ and did not end up having to use a spacer the only way to see is put it in and check your U-joint placement

yep, there were three different thicknesses of unit bearings over the years. You will know as soon as you mount your rotors whether you need them or not. .25" will be fine in thickness. I got Moroso from summit racing for about $15, but had to reduce the OD a bit with an angle grinder.

SeanP

SeanP said:
yep, there were three different thicknesses of unit bearings over the years. You will know as soon as you mount your rotors whether you need them or not. .25" will be fine in thickness. I got Moroso from summit racing for about $15, but had to reduce the OD a bit with an angle grinder.

SeanP

Sean, is that due to the knuckle differences between early and later models or is there a difference in tube length?

Reason I ask: I've got an older non-disco housing that is 'straight' that I'm swapping the later knuckles onto the earlier housing.

no knuckle difference

the difference is in the unit bearing itself

key here

match unit bearing year with rotor year and there will be no problems

mac 'grin and bearing it' gyvr

macgyvr said:
no knuckle difference

the difference is in the unit bearing itself

key here

match unit bearing year with rotor year and there will be no problems

mac 'grin and bearing it' gyvr

Cool....I have my spare axles set up with unit bearings......that makes things pretty easy, I guess.

Back