• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

motor mounts

cardboard

NAXJA Forum User
I just finished putting new motor mounts (stock), on my xj and i cant believe the difference. Both of my old ones were completely broke, small pipe was totally apart from the rubber and just kinda floating in there. It rides so much smoother. Sorry just had to tell someone. :roflmao:
Digger

Hey Digger, way to go! :worship: How did you know they were bad? How many miles were on them and what kind of mounts did you use to replace them? I'm thinkin' maybe my 180K miles rig might need them too. Thanks!

lcsxj said:
Hey Digger, way to go! :worship: How did you know they were bad? How many miles were on them and what kind of mounts did you use to replace them? I'm thinkin' maybe my 180K miles rig might need them too. Thanks!

at 180k, i would think you need new ones.

you can do a visual check for cracks or give it quick burst of gas and look for excessive engine movement.

I noticed that my shifter(manual tranny) doesn't wobble after replacing the old motor and tranny mounts. I would also get some driveshaft clunking when pulling out on a hill, and that is gone too.

Jason

Digger, I recommend you also replace the transmisison mount. My dealership told me they replace all 3 mounts if 1 is found bad. The mounts work together and if you place on new one in the system then the other two will have accelerated wear.

You have noticed an improvement in the XJ, less vibrations in the cabin. When you change the transmission mount you will also find even less vibrations in the cabin - provided you are using dealer parts not urethane.

I changed my mounts when I sas moving to Alabama from St Louis. My cruise control did not work so 7 hours of foot feeding the gas. I got the the point I was driving by "feel" instead of constantly looking at the speedometer.

One day just north of nashville I was pulled over my a Tennessee state trooper for doing 81 in a 70. I got off with just a verbal warning when I explained to him it just got away from me going down that hill. Luckly he was a good guy and accepted my story - also having a Military Vehicle registration on the windshield did not hurt :)

I had changed the engine and transmission mounts just before that trip and the XJ did not "vibrate" the same as it use to. I do not think the trooper would of accepted "the new mounts don't vibrate the same sir" theory. I was doing 80+ mph when I was trying to do 70-75 mph. Be careful for a while after you change mounts, you have a higher chance of getting speeding tickets right after having mounts changed.

Back