• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mystery wire

SPSERG

NAXJA Forum User
Hopefully someone out there knows what the heck this wire is: Running from under the power brake boster, is a brown (no trace) wire along the back firewall. It has a factory white connector, runs over to about the charcoal canister and is hooked up to nothing. It looks factory, but runs along the outside of the wiring loom on the firewall. I dont think it was pulled out of the loom. I was not able to follow it back that far under the brake booster, but I will first chance I get. When I got the Jeep, for some reason several connectors were unplugged for no reason. The underhood light, the washer level switch and a couple others. Everything seems to work, but this concerns me. It looks like it would reach to the electrical connectors on the fenderwell. Any thoughts??

To satisfy my own curiosity, I checked the wire with a meter. No 12V at key hot, and its not a ground either. The connector is made to slide over a spade type connection. I still cant see where it originates from. It runs under the booster, and is very tight, no slack at all. Tried looking from underneath, no luck with a flashlight. Cant see it from under the dash either. Someone must have an idea...

What year, what engine, what tranny?

88, 4.0 with the BA 5 speed. All gauges function, and everything seems normal. Spent about an hour at alldata trying to trace it back, with no luck.

I know I'm being captain obvious here but why are you bothering? I live by the "well if it ain't broke, doing fix it" kind of mentality I guess.

What was it that killed the cat?

:cheers:

seriously though, I am wondering why

Kevin

SPSERG said:
88, 4.0 with the BA 5 speed. All gauges function, and everything seems normal. Spent about an hour at alldata trying to trace it back, with no luck.

Mine's an '88 with 5-speed. We can do a side-by-side when you come for the roof rails (if you still want 'em).

Sounds like you are talking about the proportioning vavle that has a wire attached to it.

My concern is this... When I got the Jeep, several plugs were disconnected. I dont know why, maybe because the owner was going overseas and didnt want any drains on the battery. Yes , I know simply disco the battery, but I wasnt around for advice. This wire is routed towards the passenger side of the bay, but it could just as easily reach the driver side. It runs OK, but with no check engine light, this could be a sensor thats unplugged. Now that I think of it the EGR vacuum line was pulled off too, see my point now? If it slows down raining, maybe I can snap a picture.

Any thoughts? The pictures are not the best, I know. Earlier I was looking at my Chiltons manual, and this connector looks just like a V-6 collant temp sender plug. My gauge works fine, HMMMM

Actually. the underhood light was disconnected also. I plugged it into the most obvious plug, right behind the coolant bottle and it works now. But that wire in the picture is still a mystery.

I just got an Electrical Troubleshooting Manual for an 1988 Cherokee of of E-Bay. This is the coolest book ever. Page after page of wiring diagrams. I gave it a quick look, but I didn't see anything. I'll let you know if I find something.

Seth

Things are do darn crowded in spots... It starts under the the power brake booster, but I cant tell where. If I remove the washer tank it might be easier to tell.

ya know, from a sideways look at the post you wrote earlier, I dont think the original owner was pulling plugs for transport, I think he might have been short hunting. most people use the "pull each fuse" method with a lightbulb between the negitive cable and ground on the battery-when that dont work, they start pulling plugs on everything available...this is usually the time someone offers the advice of "the computer is still pulling juice, unplug it".....to which the answer "ARGHHHH".

Ghosty has a valid point- there is a wire comeing off the bottom of the proportioning valve- I believe this is the "brake failure" warning light feed. Single wire- I even think mines brown....have to check tomorrow. But I believe it dosent go across the engine. In fact, on all the 89s Ive seen, I cant remember a single brown wire with a tab anywhere back there....the only possibility i could dream up is a secondary lead to the oil pressure sensor.
And even thats a leap of faith.

I see where you are going with it... But when my rear brake line blew out, the light did come on, so I know it works and I did checkthe lead is there on the valve and still connected. It may have been short hunting, but I knew the last owner and dont think he was that mechanically inclined.

Could it be a left over wire from an auxilery item that was put in from one of the previous owners. I could probably find tons of wires that plug into nothing on my jeep b/c im too lazy to pull em. I would trace the wire to wherever it goes, and solve your problem from there.

Back