• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gears

xj-fx

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 88 XJ with a 6" lift and 33" tires. I'm beefing up the rear axle (Dana 35) with 30 spline axles and a Detroit Locker. I run this unit on the street alot... what gears should I be using?

xj-fx said:
I have a 88 XJ with a 6" lift and 33" tires. I'm beefing up the rear axle (Dana 35) with 30 spline axles and a Detroit Locker. I run this unit on the street alot... what gears should I be using?

Go 4.88's.
I run 4.56 with 33" tires and wish I could have gone lower. You'll regret it if you don't. Trust me... it ain't too much gear.

Thanks everybody.. I got the info I was looking for..
Jes your links were perfect...

thanks

4.88's....... I agree super 35 is a waste. I dont know about your area but it is not hard to find an XJ 44 around here. 4X4XFAR

I realize the down fall of the Dana 35 verses the Dana 44. I have an opportunity to pick up a Superior Super 35 Kit with the 30 spline axles and a Detroit Soft Locker with about 1,000 miles on it for $250. Thought at that price it would be worth a go.

I need a rear d44. Im in massachusetts, maybe i just don't know where to look- but i can't find one. Am I better of fabbing a brand new (1-2 yr. old) wrangler d44 to work on my XJ, or just find an old one since i'm going to have to regear and all that anyway? Sorry to split off from the topic slightly. And jumping around... Who DOES make the best gears?

Last edited:
xj-fx said:
I realize the down fall of the Dana 35 verses the Dana 44. I have an opportunity to pick up a Superior Super 35 Kit with the 30 spline axles and a Detroit Soft Locker with about 1,000 miles on it for $250. Thought at that price it would be worth a go.
frell for 250 bucks its well worth it. untill you start realy strat getting stupid you'll befine with that. a as I have said be fore if a super 35 kit can hold up to 37 with a nut standing on it it must be pretty good. the main thing you may want to do is truss the axle.

Back