• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

T-Case Skid Plate

XJWheelie

NAXJA Forum User
I took the t-case skid plate off of my 2001 XJ since it is never used off-road and I'm installing it on my 1994 XJ. Everything lines up except there is one problem; the 2001 has nuts that appear to be pressed into the frame rails and the 1994 has holes that appear to be able to accept this kind of nut, but I have no idea where to get them. Are they something that I can order from Jeep or are they one of those factory things that I cannot install myself? If that's the case does anyone have any suggestions so that I can make it work?

I'm going to go to a more substantial t-case skid plate later, but for now I thought that this was certainly better than nothing.

Thanks,
Robert

If you can't find the nutserts,if they're even available,just drill out the bolt holes on the skid to accept self-tapping bolt that are the right size to tap the existing holes in the frame rail.

btw, if you're putting in new bolts from the get go, you might want to find some "mushroom headed" hex bolts.... what i mean is some nicely curved bolts that will not get too damaged when you hit one... I had to take a file to one of the OEM ones when I was taking my skid off as no socket would fit it due to deformation (that's I think after only ONE really bad encounter with a rock)..

Kejtar

The dealer can sell you those nutserts, but they cost like $5 each. I bought one, then took it to a local specialty fastener company called The Nutty Company and bought a few more to match for about $1 each.

Thanks

Do you happen to have the part numbers for the nutserts? The parts department in the dealership here is not the most competitent

Thanks,
Robert

will the self tapping bolt idea not work?

They take a special tool to put in, byt the way. So I would consider the self tapping bolts also.

You could always just swap the cross members too and not have to worry about finding the hardware.

Back