• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

255's on stock 16 inch tires?

I have a 2000 XJ Limited with a budget doost for now, but ordering RE 3.5" in 2 weeks. I want to keep the factory rims because the match the truck well. I am looking at the Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo's 255/70SR16

255/70SR16 109S SL 500 A B

10.3" - section width
7.5" - tread width
30.1" - tire diameter
693 - revs per mile

My question is if I am going to rub? Ifs o how bad? Is this something i can fix by getting the WJ control arms and machining them to fit?

Yeh, I wanna know too! I've got an '01, and intend to keep the same rims and go to 255/70/16.......I've not been successful in finding anyone who has run this on an XJ. :dunno: I had forgot about the LCA from a GC. I was thinking about investing in wheel spacers if the back spacing wasn't right for the wider tires.
Lets hear some comments..............................

Well, no more than 5 minutes after i posted... I said screw it and ordered the tires anyways. I will deal wit it when i get them. I will update this thread when i get them mounted and balanced and can get a feeling for what kinds of problems you will have to mod the jeep to fit them, if any (I can dream can't I?)

yea...let me know too about that. Are you going to run them on stock suspension, or is the lift going on at the same time? I want to run 255's with either no lift, or a 2"BB. I KNOW a 245/70 will work with no lift...but I think a 255 will be better....as soon as the new AEV wheel is available, which is 16X8, I will be looking at tires....thanks for any info.

XJClassic said:
yea...let me know too about that. Are you going to run them on stock suspension, or is the lift going on at the same time? I want to run 255's with either no lift, or a 2"BB. I KNOW a 245/70 will work with no lift...but I think a 255 will be better....as soon as the new AEV wheel is available, which is 16X8, I will be looking at tires....thanks for any info.
Your situation will be a little different. We're stuck with the stock 16x7 wheels with stock offset. If you are buying wheels, you may be able to avoid any problems we have by choosing your offset carefully. Plus, you're looking at a wheel 1 inch wider. This may also help out with clearance issues.
I'm very intereseted in the results. I think I'll wind up with a BB atleast initially. With the intention of going to 3-3.5 inches in the future.

at this point i already have the 2" Budget boost...the tires should be here wednesday or thursday and shouold hopefully have them mounted by the end of the weekend.

i got the tires on, 2"BB, factory 16x7 with Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 255/70-16 they are slightly over 30" These tires fit fine with no rubbing at all. Hope this information is useful. It gives the jeep a little more aggressive look.

quick note on grand cherokee lca's. i machined a set and put them on. the tires tires did not rub with the stock 15 honeycomb limited style wheels. however the box section is a bit taller. they were pretty close to hitting the lca mount at rest with about 3.5 to 4" of lift . i think even with chopping into the mount they still limited droop for me. junkyeard here in ca got me for 70 pair. you might be able to snag a set of used aftermarket lca's for not much more...
just my 2 cents

would 235/75 r 16 size tires work on my stock 92? My tires are gunna need replacing soon, at least before more snow comes! Any one know of any good off road tires? I like the bfgoodwrench mud terrains but there brice and will wear fast, the all terrains look good to but this is jus mee talking from what I guess would be good tread pattersn from pictures HAHA! Well thanks in advance for any help.
-Steve D

StuckXJ said:
would 235/75 r 16 size tires work on my stock 92? My tires are gunna need replacing soon, at least before more snow comes! Any one know of any good off road tires? I like the bfgoodwrench mud terrains but there brice and will wear fast, the all terrains look good to but this is jus mee talking from what I guess would be good tread pattersn from pictures HAHA! Well thanks in advance for any help.
-Steve D
Not sure what comes in that size. Check out the Tire Rack http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compa...=1&performance=ORAT&performance=ORMT&x=6&y=11
and see what they've got.

OOPS... okay... at full rack i hit an odd bump going into a parking lot... I had rubbing, but almost un-noticeably. not enough to worry me for now.

JeepinAudiophile said:
i got the tires on, 2"BB, factory 16x7 with Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 255/70-16 they are slightly over 30" These tires fit fine with no rubbing at all. Hope this information is useful. It gives the jeep a little more aggressive look.
How about a pic????? :eyes:

sorry guys, just seeing that for the first time... i'll try to get a few pics this week and get them on here
-Chad-

Well... I just got finished putting on my new set up. I decided to go with a factory Jeep wheel and not the AEV. I got tired of waiting for them, and I really needed new tires. I got a set of mint 16x7 Icons (01 Ltd.) and 255/70/16 Revo's. With no lift, I get no rubbing. I will do a BB in the near future though, I think it will look better, plus I will be towing a boat with it, so I need alittle extra in the rear. I'll get some pics up soon without the lift. Thanks for the help guys.

XJClassic said:
Well... I just got finished putting on my new set up. I decided to go with a factory Jeep wheel and not the AEV. I got tired of waiting for them, and I really needed new tires. I got a set of mint 16x7 Icons (01 Ltd.) and 255/70/16 Revo's. With no lift, I get no rubbing. I will do a BB in the near future though, I think it will look better, plus I will be towing a boat with it, so I need alittle extra in the rear. I'll get some pics up soon without the lift. Thanks for the help guys.
I'm lookin forward to those pics....those are my exact wheels, and currently no lift.......
thanks

I think that you will find that not always, but sometimes you will hit the right bump or angle in the road surface and get rubbing. Not on the wheel wells, but the LCA... just barely rubs but definately noticeable.

So, anybody got a digital camera??? :eyes: I'd still like to see what these tires look like on my stock rims. Thanks.

Back