• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

FRONT dANA 60

4x4xfar

NAXJA Forum User
I Want to swap in a Dana 60 in the front of my 92xj. What can I get one out of? I want as close to stock width as I can get. Ty 4X4XFAR

pretty sure it's gonna have to be custom to be near stock width, unless you get a full-width one (late 70s Ford F350s) and run Hummer wheels or something else with very deep backspacing.

why do you want a 60? what size tires do you plan on running? Wagoneer Dana 44s are near stock width and you can get alloy shafts and CTM joints that will let it handle some pretty big rubber

Well This is what I run Now
8" front front coils with ADCO adjustable spacer.
8" RR rear springs with 1 3/4" shackle
Clayton long arms
Rustys over knuckle Steering conversion with trac bar
I run 4.88 gears in my rear 44 and 4.88's in my front dana 30 with upgrade to manual hubs and upgraded shafts.Both Axles are locked. I run Q78 TSL swampers(35.5") with bushwhackers. I want to goto 38.5"X11" Boggers and was not thinking my setup would hold up. Also I am as low as I can Go gearwise in the front now. My rig has many other mods but those are all that matter here, Ty 4x4xFAR

Last edited:
many of us are doing GREAT with ford 1/2 and 3/4 ton 44's......

swap ot the shafts, use them as trail spares, and go alloy shafts and heavy-duty aftermarket u-joint of your choice.

my axles have a no-questions-asked warrenty if they break.

consider fullsize, no narrowing, but use numerically higher wheel offsets in the 17" flavor to swallow big brakes and to reduce the outside tracwidth

4x4xfar said:
Well This is what I run Now
8" front front coils with ADCO adjustable spacer.
8" RR rear springs with 1 3/4" shackle
Clayton long arms
Rustys over knuckle Steering conversion with trac bar
I run 4.88 gears in my rear 44 and 4.88's in my front dana 30 with upgrade to manual hubs and upgraded shafts.Both Axles are locked. I run Q78 TSL swampers(35.5") with bushwhackers. I want to goto 38.5"X11" Boggers and was not thinking my setup would hold up. Also I am as low as I can Go gearwise in the front now. My rig has many other mods but those are all that matter here, Ty 4x4xFAR

Rustys steering on a d30 with 9 3/4in lift sounds scarry!!!
If you have a "show truck" keep your stock axles and get 38s.

If your gonna wheel it, get a d60 front and a 14bolt rear and keep it full width. Youll need new rims, 16.5, 17 or 20in. You can do a real High steer on your d60 knuckles. You can gear down to 5.13s, and you dont have to worry about shafts any more.

Im 82in wide outside tire to tire, and Im guessing like 8in lift.. and its very stable and wheelable. Stock width on 10in lift just wont stay rubber side down! more Hight should require more width...
My 84 toyota has 5.5in lift, with 35s, and its very narrow, The hood is the same hight as my full width cherokee on 38s. Its just scarry trying to wheel that narrow toyota.

Pick up the fullwidth axle and just use hummer rims. it'll bring you to about stock WMS or close enough to cover good portion of tire with extended flares. Hummer rims have a backspacing of 7inches

ashman correct me if I'm wrong, not at your level yet ;)

Ty I wasnt really trying to stay stock width I just wanted to see how close I could get because I still drive this to trails(Cant afford a Truck and Trailer)I cant have my tires out too far or I will get nailed. I do want more width than stock though and with my bushwhackers I can safly gain some width.

This IS not a show truck I Just like everybody else started small and have grown. Now I am ready to build It too be stronger and a bit wider. I should have built it this way from day one but you know how it is. Nothing is ever good enough so you upgrade. The way I look at it is I can sell the axles I hAVe already upgraded and that will help fund this project.
I dont know this to be true but I was told buy my girlfriends dad that he will give me a 60 out of his junkyard that is only about 2" wider than the stock xj. But that is for my Rear. If this is true I figured there might be something that will fit the front around the same width. But I dont know if this 60 he has is even real! I will upgrade My axles and just wanted some help. TY 4X4XFAR

Majo said:
Pick up the fullwidth axle and just use hummer rims. it'll bring you to about stock WMS or close enough to cover good portion of tire with extended flares. Hummer rims have a backspacing of 7inches

ashman correct me if I'm wrong, not at your level yet ;)

With hummer rims you can get close to stock ~78" outside of tire to outside with a 12.5" wide tire (D60 69" wm to wm). If you have to use a spacer to clear steering/brakes on the 60 you start looking at +80" so 6" or so more inches over stock. My 30/35 was ~74" with the tire/wheel combo and stuck out ~1.5" outside of the flares.

Last edited:
Yup she has a sister. I just called him and he said the rear was 8lug at 63" from outside of drum to outside of drum.He said out of a 70 ford he thought.
4X4XFAR

4x4xfar said:
Yup she has a sister. I just called him and he said the rear was 8lug at 63" from outside of drum to outside of drum.He said out of a 70 ford he thought.
4X4XFAR
Thats pretty much what I have for a rear, a 1976 F350, I think mine is 65in WMS, never measured... but you wont find a ford front less then 69in WMS.

That 70 you found should be 35 spline with 4.10 gears...if so pick it up! It probibly has Left hand 9/16in studs on the Drivers side, youll want to swap thouse out to all right handers. If you get a 78-79 d60 it will have 1/2in studs, I swapped mine out for all 9/16in studs so my d70 and d60 have the same nuts all around. I used a 1980 F350 front rotor that accepts teh 9/16in studs, I dont think it was a option in 78-79.

My rear end was free, my front end I found on Pirate in the for sale forum, at the time $1000 shipped for a complete d60 needing new brakes and stuff was a good deal. These 78-79 d60 fronts are kinda rare and desirable, High pinnion, open knuckle - diskbrakes, and these two years are special cause the short side is longer giving more room to mount your suspension links, or if you do leafs like I did, the perch width is the same width as the XJ, YJ, TJ frame width. The 80+ years are a wider leaf perch width so dont directly bolt up to a YJ SOA.

The hummer rims with no spacer will hit the factory steering arm.
If you grind off the factory steering arm and get special High steer arms angled in to clear the hummer rims you can do it.
Also the Hummer rim centers are slightly smaller diameter then tsome 1ton hubs so some times youll need to be grinded the center alittle larger, probibly not a problem on the d60 front, but might be on the rear d70 or a rear 14bolt.

Stock hummers fit fine on the 14 bolt, at least they do on mine. My hummers have the 8 bolt locking ring, the 12 bolt type might be different.

Mad4x4 can do it custom for great prices..

I had them do me a custom D60 high pinion for my rear 98 XJ cut to 60"+ same as stock 456 gears ARB locker Superior shafts drivin 35" Xterrains with disk ready to put in for under $4400.00 that is pretty sweet deal! Larry is very nice guy...

I could have picked two D60s up for $100 bucks but looked into having it cut and done custom from like 70" and it would have been about the same when done, so I decided to go with the new.

Was going to get one for front but stuck with D30 and super 30 kit because I would have to have all new brackets fabed for the 8" skyjacker lift.

Back