• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best alloy shafts for the money?

Incredible Hulk

NAXJA Forum User
I am building a 44 for the front, so I am gonna need some new shafts for the rear to match up the bolt patterns. Might as well go alloy while I got the chance! I am curious what brand you all would recommend. I found a killer deal on some Mosers, but was curious if anyone had any other recommendations or opinion on the matter. I would appreciate any and all input or links. Thanks!
josh

I've had success with Superior/Foot Axle and Gear shafts. I'm running the Super 30 front Alloys and plan to upgrade my Currie 9" or Dana 44 to a 35 Spline ARB and Superior Alloy shafts for it as well. I've tried to break my front shafts this year and haven't been able to. They held up for BOTW III in California so I feel they are worth the coin.

I've been hammerin' on some 30 spline D44(rear) Superiors for over a year now. Pulled them recently and the splines look fine. Price(at the time) was right too.

Jes

Superior is pretty universally recognized as the premiere alloy shaft, but, damn, are they spendy. I personally can't justify dropping that much coin on a set of shafts, but that's just me.

I ran Moser's on the front D60 of my YJ and never had any issues. I thought it was a quality product, reasonably priced (still not cheap) and the customer service was good. That's just my experience.
Dion

Hey Jes...WCGIC Approved? If Jes hasn't snapped a Superiour 44 Shaft then they have to be good. Although I'm not sure if Superior still sells rear D44 Alloy shafts for the XJ Dana 44. They used to but now they make a good replacement Shaft but it's not ChroMo anymore :( ...I tried ordering some in Feb. 04 and ran into a wall. The Stocker D44 axles held so.

Moser will make some I found but they want you to send in your OEM shafts and then you get only axles back and you have to press on bearings, backing plate etc. I'd rather it come with the bearings installed IMHO.

Yes, I'd say they're West Coast approved. I believe Goatman is running the 35 spline jobies in his Tera60R as well.

Jes

Anyone else had bad experience with Moser? The price difference was about $80 different including bearings seals, etc. So I am curious if it is worth the extra $80. Anyone got a line on where to find superior shafts for teh best price? I called drivetrain direct and the were a little steep. Anyone got connections? Thanks for all the help and recommendations.
josh

Try Dutchman, that's where I got my alloy rear D44 shafts. Don't know if they're any better than Moser, but they're as good. I got them with bearings and everything already pressed on and the price was reasonable.

Like Jes said, I have 35 spline Superiors in my current D60.

I think I am sold on teh superiors but could anyone recommend the best place to buy a set from? I know you cant buy direct from them so you gotta find a distributor, so who has the best prices on these things? Thanks.
josh

Back