• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hiem Experts?

JeepFreak21

NAXJA Forum User
I've decided to go with hiems for my upper arms on my radius arm setup, and I need help deciding which ones to go with. I don't care about misalignment because I won't need any, but I am concerned with them wearing out quickly on the street. I also don't have a clue on what strength I need. I'm hoping to use 1.5" .250 wall DOM w/ tube adapters. Can anybody shed some light?
Thanks,
Billy

You'll have to run one upper if you want to run heims.

I'm running 1" bore/1.25" shaft heims. They bungs they thread into fit inside 1.75" x .125" wall tube (in other words) 1.5" inside diameter tube.

They are about $55 a piece from www.polyperformance.com

CRASH

CRASH said:

I'm running 1" bore/1.25" shaft heims. They bungs they thread into fit inside 1.75" x .125" wall tube (in other words) 1.5" inside diameter tube.

CRASH

Why only one upper?

mad maXJ, I was planning on running two.
Billy

If your going to run two arms I would use all rubber(on the axle end and the shot arm). If you use a hiem on one end you will kill the rubber end in no time at all. Hiem at the crossmember or jj, rubber at all the other points.

David Taylor said:
If your going to run two arms I would use all rubber(on the axle end and the shot arm). If you use a hiem on one end you will kill the rubber end in no time at all. Hiem at the crossmember or jj, rubber at all the other points.

Exactly.

If you run two arms YOU MUST HAVE FLEX BUILT INTO YOUR SYSTEM!

I'm going to a single arm from a double arm because I don't want to change bushings anymore, and teh axle displacement and rotation under hard braking made the front end feel weird at high speeds.

Double arms with rubbers everywhere bu the crossmember worked well for 4 years, I'm ready for a change.

CRASH

CRASH said:

CRASH

Actually, if I were going to use that size tube, I could use the 1.25" allthread and bushings I had already planned on using. Would a hiem w/ a 7/8 or 3/4" shank be way too small?
Billy

Well, I've used 3/4" heims on my Panhard bar for years without incident, and RE used to use heims on all their control arms before the advent of Super-flex joints.

It not that much more to step up to bomb-proof, and I already had the joints and bungs laying about from another project.

Andy

The rating difference on a 3/4 heim to a 1 inch heim is pretty big, depending on the quality and brand of the units we are discussing.

The tubing size difference is minimal.

CRASH

David Taylor said:
Crash, currie sway bar up front to go with the loss of any bind as flex starts?

Sorry for the high-jack

Maybe, we'll see how these new springs are, along wit hthe 7100's. HAven't gotten them yet.

CRASH

JeepFreak21 said:
Actually, if I were going to use that size tube, I could use the 1.25" allthread and bushings I had already planned on using. Would a hiem w/ a 7/8 or 3/4" shank be way too small?
Billy

I used 1.25" all-thread and rod couplings welded in 2"x1.25"(all chromoly).Use all rubber except at the crossmember.Theres a pic of that on my homepage/"longarm pics"!

Back