• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AGR Rock Ram System

xjjeepn

NAXJA Forum User
Thanks to all who responded to my question regarding the AGR Rock Ram System. Matt, I thought for sure it was a pump problem too. However, after the 3rd pump I focused on the only item left......the box, yes you guessed it! The box is bad, brand new and defective......I guess all this AGR bashing has some merit! Apparently there is a problem in the box and the reason that it got better w/ increased rpm's was the increased force going to the ram which would over power the box problem. When I capped of the box and removed the ram the jeep would barely turn left even when moving. I put the stock box back on and it turns better than it does w/ the ram. So, anyway I will be calling AGR tomorrow just to let them know what they can do with their junk! I think it's time for a REDNECK RAM! So if any of you are considering anything from AGR, I must tell you, based on my personal experience and many hours wasted due to their junk........BUY ANTHING BUT AGR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Thanks again for all the advice.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, that's 3 for 3 based on reports I've seen. Question: Has anyone received a steering box from AGR that was NOT screwed up when it arrived?

Glad you found the problem - I just palyed the same game but knew the pump was good so I blew out all the lines adn drained the whole dela then just swapped in a new boneyard box (problems solved :rolleyes: )

Matt Hodges at West Texas Offroad will hook you up - be doing the 1 finger drill with those 36" in the time it take to get the stuff UPS'ed to your door, good luck

Matt

Here's an update......Talked to AGR yesterday and they were not real receptive to the entire refund deal. So, They overnighted me a new box, I'm in a little bit of a hurry, got to leave for a Jamboree tomorrow. I reinstalled the AGR system with the new box and wow........it works. So in summary, their system works but I don't believe that it was worth the hassle. If you pay that much for a steering upgrade it should work flawlessly from the start. I still would recommend contacting West Texas Off Road for a Redneck Ram, if I had it to do all over again I would!

I was skeptical about AGR as well. I bought a pump and box from them after debating for about a year. I let it sit for another 8 months before I installed it. Still worried about what I had gotten myself into, I went ahead and installed it and to my amazement, it worked flawlessly. I have been driving with this new box and pump for about 9 months now and have absolutely no regrets. However, I have heard many more negative things about AGR products than good things so I am still waiting for the failure to occur and give me the problems I have always expected to have with their product. But so far I have had nothing but a good experience. I noticed that the steering wheel is easier to turn, I don't turn it as far to go from lock to lock (possibly because I also installed a ZJ pitman arm at the same time) and it has produced an oversteer situation that I find more preferable to the old understeer I was used to.

Part 3: The Saga Continues............ I was a trail guide for a Jeep Jamboree this past weekend. I was excited to try out my new steering on the trails. The Jamboree was in Nelson County Virginia at the Oakridge Estate. The trail rating is only 2-5 but the rain bumped that up a little. These trails are really tight, fitting the XJ in between some of the trees is an interesting feat. I GUESS IT WAS TOO MUCH FOR MY NEW AGR BOX TO HANDLE! I blew the seal out of the box the first day! What's up with that? MORE JUNK FROM AGR! Well I'll be on the phone with them today and I'll update this with what they said, wish me luck!

Well, I talked to AGR and they were more than willing to send me another box just as soon as I sent mine back or paid for them to ship me another one. B.S. I blew a freakin' gasket. I told them that I was tired of being bent over by them! Well they then decided that they would go ahead and send me another box right away no charge and I could send the other one back as soon as I changed it out. They also said that they were going to check w/ the person who is testing these boxes and find out if they have a problem.....I think they have a problem! So in summary... DO NOT BUY AGR PRODUCTS!!!!! You will be disappointed. I have been. I'm going to be on my third steering box and I wonder how that one will work???? Not to mention the time I've spent wrenching to change their defective stuff out that I know they'll never even try to compensate me for.

Shocking.

CRASH

sorry to hear about your mishaps, but I was wondering if you had pics of your rig?

Update....................Received and installed the 3rd steering box and went wheeling this past weekend. So far everything is okay. I'll keep my fingers crossed that after numerous hours of wrenching and several component swaps, this system will work. As I have stated previously, if you are considering a hydraulic assisted steering system, shop wisely because there are several companies making these systems. Agr is over priced and so far has been a royal pain in the ___! I would try West Texas Off Road. I've heard great things about them and their Redneck Ram System. The total system is less than half of what I paid for this AGR junk.

Funny thing is. On ebay West Texas sells their plans to do it for $15. I am going to buy it and try it out. Seems a simple plan to drill out and tap some ports. Then find a hydraulic cylinder, interesting huh.

Ive had their steering in my rig, after the 2nd box crapping out I called it quites with AGR.

oh and BTW I did pay for shipping for them to send me a 2nd box because their first box was made out of BS. How stupid can i get?:anon:

I went down to the place I bought it and put everything I got from AGR on the table and asked for a refund. they didnt want to give me the money back, so I too blew a gasket. Finally they took it back for credit, and I got something else.

Back