• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 wheel bearings

gcam

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, I have an axle seal leak on my 8.25. Since I will have to pull the axle, and since the seal is shot and I probably have some dust in the axle tube now, I am planning on changing the bearing as well.

First, is there only one axle seal in the 8.25?

Secondly, will the bearing be pressed on to the axle shaft, or into the housing? If it is in the housing, will a regular bearing driver with about an 8" handle be enough, or is the bearing set further into the tube than that? Will I need to use a long piece of pipe as a driver instead of the bearing driver? I just want to make sure I have everything I need before I start this job.

Lastly, how hard is it to pop the c-clip off the axle shaft?

I've done a search on 8.25's and bearings, and I didn't find much information. I hope you guys can help me with this. Thanks,

Geoff

One seal per axel and the bearings are pressed into the housing next to the backing plates your bearing driver should work fine. The c-clip usually slips right out after you remove the large center pen and rotate the carrier upside down. It’s fairly straight forward.

Good Luck,

Xman

gcam said:
Ok, I have an axle seal leak on my 8.25. Since I will have to pull the axle, and since the seal is shot and I probably have some dust in the axle tube now, I am planning on changing the bearing as well.

First, is there only one axle seal in the 8.25?

Secondly, will the bearing be pressed on to the axle shaft, or into the housing? If it is in the housing, will a regular bearing driver with about an 8" handle be enough, or is the bearing set further into the tube than that? Will I need to use a long piece of pipe as a driver instead of the bearing driver? I just want to make sure I have everything I need before I start this job.

Lastly, how hard is it to pop the c-clip off the axle shaft?

I've done a search on 8.25's and bearings, and I didn't find much information. I hope you guys can help me with this. Thanks,

Geoff

Back