• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Control arms or drop bracket?

jeeperzevanxj

NAXJA Forum User
i am having major steering problems, found out that my track bar was so loose that it almost fell out, tie rod is bend, my discos are too short and wheel bearings are shot (other than that i am ok) so i got all of those things with the frame mount for the track bar. none of it put in yet, thats tommorrow. but i was also told that my control arms are a problem. i am running a 4.5 rustys kit + 2" spacers. my contol arms are 17" long. is that too short and causing bad caster angles? i was told to put all the other stuff on first, get it aligned and see where i stand. does that sound good, or do you think my control arms are too short? if they are, should i get adjustable control arms, or the Rubicon express drop brackets?

jeeperzevanxj said:
i am having major steering problems, found out that my track bar was so loose that it almost fell out, tie rod is bend, my discos are too short and wheel bearings are shot (other than that i am ok) so i got all of those things with the frame mount for the track bar. none of it put in yet, thats tommorrow. but i was also told that my control arms are a problem. i am running a 4.5 rustys kit + 2" spacers. my contol arms are 17" long. is that too short and causing bad caster angles? i was told to put all the other stuff on first, get it aligned and see where i stand. does that sound good, or do you think my control arms are too short? if they are, should i get adjustable control arms, or the Rubicon express drop brackets?

YOur lowers are not the problem. You need adjustable Uppers or at least longer ones. My Rusty's 4.5" coils has always given my a solid 5" so you are trying to run about 7" of lift with OEM upper arms. Even with Adj uppers, I think you'll need the Drop brackets as well. Thats a very steep angle on those lower arms. Your ride will suck and you will wish you had DB's or have done a Long arme kit.

4.5" is pretty easy to deal with, once you go over that, you have to address many different issues.

Goodluck

so does everyone else aggree that it is my upper control arms, not lower? and do you think that i whould order those right away, and do it with the other stuff, or will the other stuff fix it enough to drive it. or do they have to be done witht he others?

jeeperzevanxj said:
so should i go with adjustable uppers and lowers, or adjustable uppers and drop brackets?

Well what do you want? If you want a better ride at 7" of lift then get the DB, otherwise I would say for now just get the Upper Adjustables.

The lowers will adjust your wheelbase, and the uppers really adjust the caster. Just get under your jeep and look how the axle will move if you had longer uppers.

The lowers you have should work fine to keep your wheelbase correct. Use the uppers to fine tune the caster anlge, just remeber not to forget about your pinion angle as well.

juicexj24 said:
I run a little over 6.5" without drop brackets. I have adjustable upper and lower control arms. I handles great on the highway, aligned dead on and no death wabble. Stock upper arms or any fixed arm at that lift will be a problem with handling. I run Rusty's control arms on mine. This is a chart for you to use for the control arms

http://home.earthlink.net/~jeepcherokee/Suspension, Steering, Axles and Brakes/Control Arm Chart.htm

Juice

There is also a difference between ride and handleing. If you like feelling the road, don't do the Drop Brackets. Plain and simple.

Get drop brackets and Adj. uppers. At the height you are talking, your ride will dramatically improve with the drop brackets and adj. uppers.

adj. uppers... i have rusty's 3" with 2" spacer and ran the longer fixed lowers for a month then bought the adj. uppers to help with caster and they helped out alot... and even got rid of the rest of my vibes, that i had after the sye(which took care of most)but the tire did rub a bit on the front of the flair, after i adjusted them where they needed to be...but that gave me an excuse to buy a rigid bumper and a winch...kinda funny how my diy alignment cost me a grand...
oh well i just wonder what it'll cost me when i go up to 4 1/2" springs in a week or so :)

Back