• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Catalytic Converter Location

prljeep

NAXJA Forum User
Hopefully I am not going insane (or just stupid), but I don't think that I have a cat. conv. anymore...checking for one never crossed my mind until I read a post on cat blockage causing engine pronblems.

It is not locoated in some magical area on the 1990 MJ- hidden to the naked eye? It should have been right before the muffler, right?

Thanks for helping me find my MIA cat.

It is located directly behind the transmission crossmember. It is very possible a test tube was applied on your XJ.

Ecarlcl

They can't sell 'cat eliminators' so they sell 'test tubes', same thing. Some previous owner probably pulled it off instead of replacing it.

Are there any problems associated with not having one? I guess if the "rust belt" ever passed emissions standards or I move to CA- I may have a problem!

Not really unless you need to have a visual emissions inspection in Ohio as well as a sniffer. For environmental reasons you really should have one, they make low restriction ones and I see no need to remove one or run without one other than to replace it. If you can't afford to have it replaced then you can't afford to have it replaced, to me thats the only excuse for not having one. Is the O2 sensor still in place and working or did the previous owner disable that also ??

There are E-checks in Ohio and talk is that in the future Central Ohio will get on the wagon. Where are you at in Ohiya?

Travis :wave: :cheers:

O2 is still connected, but I do not think it is functioning to its fullest potential. Looks like the stock O2 with 127k on it! AND yes the emissions maint. light is ON!

In OH- near Toledo, right near Cedar Point/Put-In-Bay (usually the two places people visit in the wasteland between Cleveland and Toledo).

I orginally grew up outside Findlay and know the area pretty well. I would NOT expect the sniffer to visit your part of the state at all. You're lucky!

:geek:

Travis

Back