• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Recomendations

herreraxto

NAXJA Forum User
i recently bougth a xj 90 limited the motor the transmision the t case seems to be ok i want to put a 33 tires because i going to use it daily for right now, i want you to all recomend me a a good suspension on price and quality, can you all give a good advise

All I can say is well im not sure what to say :huh: and please do a search. DO NOT ASK ABOUT OPINIONS ON LIFTS WITHOUT SEARCHING. THE TOPIC HAS BEEN BEAT WELL BEYOND DEATH. :wow:

I recently bought a '90 XJ Limited. The driveline seems to be okay (but what the hell do I know about these uni-body pos anyway.) I want to run 33" tires...Why? Hell, I don't know..won't it look better? I don't realy care how the hell it works on the street...heck I don't ever care how it works off of the road anyway, I just need to look cool.
What kind of a lift kit is available? I don't want a body lift (only those Toyota people use them.)
So...what do you think? I don't want to waste money and I don't want to spend any either..Let me know what you ALL think....
Nakjhcxfklja Jjucallklka (my friends call me NJ)

You are gonna get a butt load of opinions on this one. To run 33's you could be looking at 5.5" to 6" of lift unless you want a smaller lift and a bunch of cutting. As far as brands, I'll leave that to everyone else's opinion. Personally, I have been happy with Rusty's Offroad's stuff. Rubicon Express is a very reputable vendor, so are others. At that height, you will need to address other issues such as driveshaft length and angle and possibly steering issues. You'll most likely need a slip yoke eliminator and rear cv drive shaft. I have a 93 5 speed with 33's, Rusty's 6" coils, custom 5" leafs and shackles, fixed aftermarket lower control arms, adjustable upper arms, adjustable track bar, longer brake lines, Tom Woods slip yoke emliminator kit and cv drive shaft, stock steering, and I regeared to 4.10s, etc. This is not the ideal set up, per se, but it has worked for me. I hate to say it, but, do a search and read up on what other people have done. There is tons of information on this topic on the board.
Good luck and welcome.

Jump This said:
I recently bought a '90 XJ Limited. The driveline seems to be okay (but what the hell do I know about these uni-body pos anyway.) I want to run 33" tires...Why? Hell, I don't know..won't it look better? I don't realy care how the hell it works on the street...heck I don't ever care how it works off of the road anyway, I just need to look cool.
What kind of a lift kit is available? I don't want a body lift (only those Toyota people use them.)
So...what do you think? I don't want to waste money and I don't want to spend any either..Let me know what you ALL think....
Nakjhcxfklja Jjucallklka (my friends call me NJ)
GEEZ, smelling a troll or something? Maybe give the guy the benefit of the doubt. We all start somewhere.

Smelling a troll??
I think it read meaner than it was written.
I am also still kinda new to this XJ thing myself.
But to be fair....I don't think I was ever that new.

Jump This said:
Smelling a troll??
I think it read meaner than it was written.
I am also still kinda new to this XJ thing myself.
But to be fair....I don't think I was ever that new.

Nothing personal to you. Just trying to let him know what all is involved in that sort of a project. We're all learning here. I think alot of people find our site and don't know where to start, as in with a search, etc.

No flame, just a thought from looking around...

I think a lot of it comes from the F150's or Tacoma's or the other heaps where you can just go out and buy a turn-key complete system and have 35's and up spinning after the weekend in the shop and be pulling your bikes or jet skis or boat or whatever and you're done.

But they didn't get the F150, they accidently did a better thing and bought an XJ, but don't know that you build an XJ one brick at a time, the way you build a good house and a lot of it based on the individual personality of the house and person building it. They think it's like tossing up a tent, and just need to buy the right tent (Fabtech for the F150, I think it is...).

There are a lot of different types of XJ's and they depend on the intetion of the driver and the terrain. If the only thought is to get 33's on as cheap as possible with the intended terrain being the local mall - maybe the F150 is a better idea. I'm not a rock crawler, even though I'm in California. I want a capable kind of "expedition vehicle". Something where I can go exploring - maybe even by myself - and make it home at the end of the day. I'm on 31's and pretty happy most of the time.

Even looks pretty good at the mall!

bburge

i reccomend a Rusty's 6.5" Spring Pack lift if you arent serious about off road. If you are just get the Rusty's 6.5" LA Kit. Or if you want just a little smaller than 6.5" at 6" you can get Full Traction's 6" LA Kit.

Back