• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Good Exhaust

StuckXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I was looking for a good exhaust cat back system. I have herd that some free flowing systems can cause a loss in torque because of the lack of back pressure. I also want it to sound good, more like a muscle car than a honda with a coffee can exhaust pipe! I was looking at banks and borla but are they really that much better than the dyno max for about $100 bucks. Right now I'm happy with my 1992 4.o xj's performance I'm just looking for a better exhaust note and not a loss in power but, and increase would be great.
I looked over some forms with the search but none have really been much help. Thanks for any info I can get.
-Steve D

Keep the money in your community...find a GOOD muffler shop that does custom work...often times the cost is the same or cheaper than mail order and self installation...

Put a Dynomax on my 97 a few weeks ago. Other than it not having the rear hanger, I LOVE it. Nice sound and while I didn't notice any real increase in power, I certainly didn't notice any loss.

I have recently puton a Banks power muffler (to go with the torquetube headers i ordered but haven't installed yet) had it welleded up with a magnaflow high-flow cat, running 2.5" stainless steel from the head to the tip. It sounds feirce, but not aggravatingly loud and loose sounding like the flowmaster i have on my 95' That's the setup im running, and it sounds great and i defiinately picked up power... then i added a fastman throttle body, intense performance cold air tube w/ 5" filter, rusty's airtube to connect the pcv valve, and an arb snorkel to top it off...I think i have it covered from pretty much start to finish, but it's all to help the avenger supercharger breathe better when i get the money to buy it (hopefully inside of 2-3 months) anyway... I love the muffler, i have heard quite a few, and i like that one the most. well, there's my 52 1/2 cents worth.

You are in luck my friend... I just realized you are from massachusetts. LousCustomExhaust.com that's where I had mine done on both of my jeeps, they are amazing. They have tubular stock that they just mandrel-bend to fit your application. I had a single in to dual out muffler on my 95', they ran the two over the axle and came out on either side of the gas tank. I will take pictures of my exhaust on my 00' today if i remember, and get them on here.

My buddie just re did the exaust on his wifes 94 with a 20 dollar dynomax turbo and a statdard tailpipe from advance and it sounds suprisingly good.I had alway had custom stuff on mine but when you start draging these jeeps over everything stuf get mangled. There is a company called proflow that has welded mufflers like flowmaster that takew a real beating and never give up alot of shops use them so check around.

JeepinAudiophile said:
You are in luck my friend... I just realized you are from massachusetts. LousCustomExhaust.com that's where I had mine done on both of my jeeps, they are amazing. They have tubular stock that they just mandrel-bend to fit your application. I had a single in to dual out muffler on my 95', they ran the two over the axle and came out on either side of the gas tank. I will take pictures of my exhaust on my 00' today if i remember, and get them on here.
What kind of muffler did you put on and how does it sound with dual exhaust from the muffler back?
Mike Harris

Back