• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Factory tow hook bracket hardware?????????

jeepguy97

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone know what size and the number of bolts I'll need to install a set of factory Mopar tow hook brackets? I have the brackets but I don't have the hardware. If not what did you use and what would you reccommend. Should save time at the hardware store. :)

If it's for the front then count the holes in the long piece that goes back along the frame rails, measure the thickness of the frame rails, add the thickness of the brackets + 1/2 for good measure :D
Then head down to the hardware store and pick up the appropriate number of grade 5 [NOT grade 8] nuts and bolts and have at it. If I remember correctly when I did mine I just reused the bumper bolts even though they shipped a bunch of new ones, also grade 5's....
If it is the back nut certs plates that go in the frame rail for such items as a gas tank skid, rear tow hook bracket, etc just take the nutcert plates down there with you and get grade 5 bolts. I'd get ones that are at least 1 1/2 - 2" long.

While there pickup a tube of anti-seize and a can of powerblaster, you will probably need to soak the old bolts with P/B and then need to apply anti-seize when you reassemble.
The factory also puts a dot of blue loctite on their bolts. You can do the same, let it dry and then apply the A/S, it will not interfere with the loctite.

jeepguy97 said:
Does anyone know what size and the number of bolts I'll need to install a set of factory Mopar tow hook brackets? I have the brackets but I don't have the hardware. If not what did you use and what would you reccommend. Should save time at the hardware store. :)

Do you have the p/n for these brackets? Stoped by the dealer earlier and they had no clue. From searching through here I got the p/n for one of the (I think) two brackets (p/n 52000712). This is the braket that the hook bolts directly to. Aside from the nutstrip in the frame rail, from my reading I thought there is at least one more bracket. Thanks.
Joe

Yes there is a lefty and a righty in the front, there is also a lefty and righty in the rear nutcert plates.

RichP said:
Yes there is a lefty and a righty in the front, there is also a lefty and righty in the rear nutcert plates.

Do you know the part no. for the ones for the rear? Dealer didn't (or they didn't look hard enough).
Thanks

I have a new passenger side one sitting here next to me, the part number stamped on it is 174RH so the other might be 174LH at a guess and if they did something logical like making LH mean Left and RH mean right. If you want to add a rear tow hook then that is a seperate L shaped bracket that will take a standard tow hook though I am replaceing my rear steel horse 3 holer tow hook with one of the flatty TJ hooks as soon as I get around to ordering it..
Oh, mine is a 98XJ.

my 1997 needed a hitch to install factory rear hooks
needed the hitch anyway so had them installed
only came with one for the passenger rear.
bought another to put on drivers rear
but its very close to the tow wrg box
try to avoid hooking from that side

Create Parts List
013-Frames and Bumpers
615-Tow Hook and Tow Eye 1997 XJ
Notes:
Sales Code ER0 = 4.0L Engine~~

Item Qty Rqd Part Number Qty Line Series Body Description
1 1150 1060 2 NUT, Hex, M12x1.75
2 1150 0257 2 WASHER, Flat, M12x24x2.80
3 5200 0712 1 BRACKET, Tow Hook
4 3420 1964 4 BOLT, Hex Flange Head, M12x1.75x40
5 52057 999AB 2 HOOK, Tow
6 1150 4922 2 BOLT, Hex Head, M12x1.75x50
7 REINFORCEMENT, Sill
5200 1174 1 Right
5200 1175 1 Left
8 3420 1353 2 RIVET, M6.3x14.02
9 5200 1644 1 EYE, Tow

this is what was listed on the chrylser parts list
for rear tow hooks .

for front hooks 97 only
52001972 right 52001973 left
nuts hex flange lock m12x1.75
bolts hex flange head m12x1.75x87.5

brkt to frame torque 22 ft lbs
nut to hook 74 ft lbs

Last edited:
Don't waste the money on the front hooks from jeep, they are over way overpriced. Just get standard 3 hole hooks and actually I might even look at the GM or Ford style that are horizontal, if the Jeep hooks were not so close to my air dam I'd spend all my time just putting the loop back on, in the back I used the spring clip that came with the steel horse hook and that works OK but that spring steel they use rusts pretty quick even keeping it painted.
Personally if I was going to want a receiver in the rear I would buy a Tomken rear bumper with built in receiver. It is the most reasonably priced, everyone else who sells a rear bumper for the XJ with a receiver hitch immeadialty decides it's worth at least $500. For that same $500 I did BOTH front and rear bumpers on one of our TJ's using warn. Was looking at a warn rear bumper for the XJ and holy smokesl, thats outta my ball park for now...

Does that Tomken rear bumper still use the rear end caps on a 97+? I would like a bumper with an integrated hitch, but want to keep somewhat of a factory appearance. The AEV works that way, but they will never have that available again...IMHO anyway.

Yes, the Tomken does use the integrated end caps. There was a article, two actually, one for the front and one for ther rear, on installing them. The article showed two thin plates that get glued on the bumper and the end cap attach to with screws as I remember. No big deal and it looked OK.. I have only ever seen two tomkens, one front on an XJ and one rear on a ZJ...

The front three bolts on both sides use the existing bumper mount bolts to hold them on. The back bolt on both sides I used 5/8" 3 inch long bolts, with a sleeve on the passenger side.

Don't ask about the the sleeve though, I found it in a tub of junk at work.

And the little bolts on the A-frame part I drilled out to hold a 5/16".

Back