• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

00 Sport trim

remat

NAXJA Forum User
Hello again,
This is probably an easy one but what is the best way to reattach door trim? I got bumped by something in the middle of the trim and now the back end is coming off.

I looked at the other door and it doesn't look like the trim is attached too well. In fact it looks like a good yank would take it off..

Thanks!

I ripped all of my trim off and you're right, all it took was a good yank for it to come off. I'm not sure what the best way to reattach the trim would be. You might want to remove the offending trim piece, clean the backside of it as well as the door or where ever it came off of, and put some type of glue on the trim ans slap it back on. You could probably find some sort of Body Molding Adhesive at a local parts store.

Don't know if the parts stores carry it, but auto paint stores have 2-sided trim tape. That's what the factory uses.

baseballneal86 said:
I ripped all of my trim off and you're right, all it took was a good yank for it to come off. I'm not sure what the best way to reattach the trim would be.

Like Eagle says, it's a standard 3M "automotive mounting tape"... a gray
double-sided foam tape with a red "cover strip". Used for ALL SORTS of
things on modern stick-together automobiles!

But... more to the point... when my 00 Sport was nary a year old, I
went at it with some elbow grease and a bottle of Goo Gone to take those
ugly oversized pieces of gray plastic off of there!! They'd already been
discolored by wax, one was a little crooked, and they created little nooks
and crannies that made the XJ harder to wash.

Rather than put ONE back on... I'd concentrate on REMOVING the others!

But's that's just ME... :)

(If anybody wants a set of '00 *2-door* sport trim moldings, make offer!
I kept 'em in the garage overhead since it was a leaser... but she's mine
now, and I can do as I please!)

Den

i hate to bust in on this thread...(well actually i don't, but i am trying to be courteous)...on a '99 classic is the door molding attached by double backed tape as well? i have thought of removing it...thanks

Wow...I am disappointed that it is just d/s tape holding it on. :(

I think that I am just going to get a new strip and tape it back on. I have seen that tape at auto-body shops..Unfortunately, I park in public lots where people like to slam their doors into your car..

Can anyone recommend a place to get a replacement strip?

Thanks!!

xjhm said:
i hate to bust in on this thread...(well actually i don't, but i am trying to be courteous)...on a '99 classic is the door molding attached by double backed tape as well? i have thought of removing it...thanks
Yep.

remat said:
I think that I am just going to get a new strip and tape it back on. I have seen that tape at auto-body shops..

Can anyone recommend a place to get a replacement strip?
The dealer has the new door moldings. A wrecking yard would be the cheaper alternative.

Back