• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel gauge shuts off?

remat

NAXJA Forum User
Hello,
I have '00 Sport and it looks like the fuel gauge works fine until it hits the red empty mark. After that it drops completely to the bottom of the gauge like it has been powered down making it impossible to tell if there is actually any fuel left.

Is this normal??
I realize the risk of running it dry but it would be nice to have an accurate reading.

Thanks

Most probably, the resistance in the tank is broken somewhere. I had the same symptom in my old FIAT car (yeah, I know all about Tony), and it was fixed by replacing the floater unit in the tank. When we removed the old unit, you could see the cut on the wire.

Rgds
---------
John SV1CEC

The sender resistor pack is kind of painted on fuel pump and the 'paint' peels. It was a common problem in 97/98/99 and my 98 does it all the time. I use the trip meter and fill up every 200-300 mi.

Thanks for the info!
I am going to just live with it unless something else goes wrong...
I think I will always just keep it above the red mark (probably should any way)..

:)

Personally I would not trust the gauge AT ALL. Get used to your trip meter, just push the odometer button once to get to the trip meter and remember to reset it [hold it in when in the trip setting till is goes to all 0000's] then fill it up every 200 or so miles. I have been living with mine for a long long time but I'm too cheap to replace a working fuel pump just so my gauge is accurate :D

Back