• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake line troubles...

TB-XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I finally got my RE stainless steel brake lines (what a ripoff they are only like an inch longer than my stock ones) but aside from my disappointment in their length I have a bigger problem. I managed to get the driver's side front on but when I went to the passenger side the fitting where the rubber line meets the hard line just rounded off when I tried to remove it. No wrench would work at all (not even boxed in wrenches for brake lines) and I resorted to using vise grips still to no avail. (Now it's basically just a rounded off stub of metal.)

I can't get it to budge, any ideas on what I can do to get the damn thing off? I am leaving the rear alone (three fittings) until I get the passenger side figured out. I have a feeling the rear fittings where they go into that goofy block looking thing will prove just as frustrating.

:gonnablow

Adam Duncan said:
Using a disk grinder, or jig saw, cut a small slit in it and try a flat head screwdriver, or something of the like, to thread it out.

Adam, I don't think that's his problem...it sounds like it's the flare fitting that's stuck.

TB, dude it looks like you'll have to do what a bunch of us have had to. Time to rent or buy a double flaring kit, cut that end off, and flare it again with a new fitting on.

Everything you could ever possibly want to know about brake line flaring:
http://www.stu-offroad.com/misc/ft-1.htm

Oh yeah, and when you tackle the rear just keep in mind that a bit of penetrating oil like Liquid Wrench, Kroil, PB'laster, etc. applied for about a week beforehand helps. Also when using your flare nut wrench don't pulllll, kind of jerk the wrench to break it free. Doing it slow could cause the fitting to squeeze and elongate...which gives them a better chance of rounding off.

Back