• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

uh oh wrong trans fluid

cjmatt

NAXJA Forum User
well my trans was low and in a moment of hesitation before sending my girlfriend on a 2 hour trip across the state i decided to top off the fluids to make sure shed be ok and all we had in the garage was atf+3. well i put in a little over a quart because i was low. is this gonna screw anything up. ill take it in tomorrow for a flush if its bad for it. but will it screw anything up in the 200 or so miles shes gonna be driving it today?

cjmatt said:
well my trans was low and in a moment of hesitation before sending my girlfriend on a 2 hour trip across the state i decided to top off the fluids to make sure shed be ok and all we had in the garage was atf+3. well i put in a little over a quart because i was low. is this gonna screw anything up. ill take it in tomorrow for a flush if its bad for it. but will it screw anything up in the 200 or so miles shes gonna be driving it today?

I wouldn't think it would hurt it.. only a quart.

please don't flush it.. :D

just drain it and and add back in what comes out.

Does your tranny leak?

yeah its leaking at the connector where it goes into the radiator. its been leaking ever since ive had it and i figured today would be a good time to add some. what detrimental effect would the quart or so of different fluid make. has anyone else had this leak and how can i fix it?

cjmatt said:

I am new here, so maybe I am missing something, but what kind of transmission does it have? The fluid to use depends on which tranny is in there. According to my full-service manual for 2000 XJ's if you have an AW-4 Automatic transmission, then you are supposed to use ATF+3. The only warnings i have seen are for using Dexron II in a transmission that calls for ATF+3, and that is because it will produce "clutch chatter", but like I said, I may be missing something here.

Beej.

ive got an 89 limited and the AW-4 but the trans is out of a different year and supposedly has 90k on it so i doubt its as old as 89. i read that it called for dexron III and my haynes says mercon. i used atf+3 cuz its what i had laying around and they said its for chryslers. can anyone tell me what they are supposed to have

Beej said:
I am new here, so maybe I am missing something, but what kind of transmission does it have? The fluid to use depends on which tranny is in there. According to my full-service manual for 2000 XJ's if you have an AW-4 Automatic transmission, then you are supposed to use ATF+3. The only warnings i have seen are for using Dexron II in a transmission that calls for ATF+3, and that is because it will produce "clutch chatter", but like I said, I may be missing something here.

Beej.
Funny, cuz I have the exact same manual and mine says the AW-4 uses Dexron II E / Mercon. The 30-RH is the one that calls for Mopar ATF+3 Type 7176, and says that Dexron II is not recommended due to clutch chatter.
Buck.

Buck Jackson said:
Funny, cuz I have the exact same manual and mine says the AW-4 uses Dexron II E / Mercon. The 30-RH is the one that calls for Mopar ATF+3 Type 7176, and says that Dexron II is not recommended due to clutch chatter.
Buck.

You are exactly right, my mistake. I typed it out back-asswards.
Beej.

Don't worry about it- on my daughter's 1990 with AW4 automatic transmission, it's been running about 1/3 of the fluid ATF+3 and 2/3 Dexron. The manual calls for Dexron. The mechanic who checked the transmission when she bought it a year ago puts ATF+3 in, and claims its better tranny fluid. I don't recommend straying from the manufacturer's recommendations, but there has been absolutely no ill effect from running this mix, so far. 4xBob

Back