• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

stock 00 rims

biscuitboy87

NAXJA Forum User
i have the stock aluminum rims on my 00xj and was wondering if it would hurt them if i had them blasted and powder coated? to my knowledge the rim would be fine, but would there be any balance issues? thank you in advance.

biscuitboy87 said:
i have the stock aluminum rims on my 00xj and was wondering if it would hurt them if i had them blasted and powder coated? to my knowledge the rim would be fine, but would there be any balance issues? thank you in advance.
I would imagine not anymore worse, but the lead weights they would stick on will take care of it. I have seen ungodly amount of weights to balance a tire on a wheel, so ya no prob. :jester:

you got eccos? if so, get them powder coated grey, got mine in grey off of Columbia Edition Wranglers, they look awesome on my black 2000 XJ :viking:

Blasted? With what?

I guess you can bead blast aluminum, although I've never tried it. Don't try to sand blast them, or your wheels will be a dim memory in short order.

yes you can bead blast aluminum. The process will not mess with balancing. I worked in a machine shop and I bead blasted countless heads and intake manifolds. No problems.
~Joe~

thanks for the input folks. pretty much thought bead blasting would be okay, but i wanted to make sure. i figured the powder coat would be okay too. i was just thinking along the lines of any heat treat being annealed by the heat of the process. i want a flat grey almost black, but i like the look of the jeep five spoke, so i figured i would take the rims down to a friends machine shop and give em the once over. i've done other parts before but never Al rims, so this will be a fun learing experience. thaks again for the input.
Nim

Last edited:
i have sand blasted aluminium wheels before, with good results...keep in mind you won't want to use a large industrial type gun that runs at higher pressures...
i used a small sears 5 gallon capacity siphon gun, running around 30 to 50 psi with sand...i only used it long enough to remove the paint...
then i hit the flat surface(factory turbine type wheels off a 89 mustang gt) with 220 grit sandpaper then with some a little finer, to polish them a bit, after that i blew them clean with an air hose and shot them with clear...they looked good...bead blasting would be better but i already had the sand :)

Back