• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

detroit locker questions

madmechanic

NAXJA Forum User
i want to go full locker over posi in my 92 with 4.0, auto, 242 tc, and 8.25. i want to install 29 spline axles with the detroit locker at the same time. i am running 33's with 6" of lift. i would like some feed back from you guys out there who are running detroit's int the rear, good or bad, hard to live with on the street, also how are they in the snow on the street and highway. it is my daily driver and i want to get the most out of it offroad. by the way i mean the carrier replacement detroit locker. arb air locker is not possible. thanks guys for any advice.

madmechanic said:
i want to go full locker over posi in my 92 with 4.0, auto, 242 tc, and 8.25. i want to install 29 spline axles with the detroit locker at the same time. i am running 33's with 6" of lift. i would like some feed back from you guys out there who are running detroit's int the rear, good or bad, hard to live with on the street, also how are they in the snow on the street and highway. it is my daily driver and i want to get the most out of it offroad. by the way i mean the carrier replacement detroit locker. arb air locker is not possible. thanks guys for any advice.

Unless you have a fettish for electric switches :) you'll never regret getting the Detroit. It's invisible off road, and has better street manners (is less noticeable) than most other auto lockers.

I've had Detroits in the rear in both a D44 and D60 and I wouldn't do it any other way. I don't live where it snows, so I can't answer that question, but it shouldn't be different than any other auto locker or most limited slips. The times that I've wheeled in the snow in the mountains it has always worked well.

When did they start making a detroit for the 8.25??? Far as I knew they only made the Auburn LSD, Powertrax No-Slip, and the ARB for it....did I miss something?

Ary

Safari Ary said:
When did they start making a detroit for the 8.25??? Far as I knew they only made the Auburn LSD, Powertrax No-Slip, and the ARB for it....did I miss something?

Ary
I have a 2003 catalog that has a detroit listed for the 27 spline 8.25,Don,t have the current catalog ,4Wheel Drive hardware.
Wayne

Safari Ary said:

Ary
I"m pretty sure Charles Stein has a detroit on 29 spline 8.25

I have one in my 96 XJ 8.25 rear end. I too upgraded tot he 29 spline version. I really do like it. It is my daily driver. I got it and never looked back. No snow around here either, but it works great off-road. On road it isn't too bad and you can learn to drive around some of the trie chirps and occasional bangs/clicks. Well worth the investment. BTW, I got it from Complete off-road. Click me! Scroll down to the bottom of the page and look for the 97 and newer detroit locker, this is the 29 spline version. No problem at all upgrading an older 27 spline housing to the 29 spline either as long as you change the carrier too.

Bryan

I run a full Detroit rear with ARB front. I drove mine through a NW Indiana winter and even drove it to Utah in February with no problems. The key is to not power through the turns. As long as you coast around turns it releases and is open. I really don't even notice it.

Love my detroit... never really notice it on the road... but the ease you will have on the trails in unreal.

It is fantastic in the snow - better than a limited slip. Both the deep stuff and the icy hardpack. I have a Detroit rear, True Trac front, and 242 case, and my 8" lifted XJ is practically a sports car in the snow. I don't break traction unless I try to. This is with an auto tranny. I've really only heard complaints from those who have manual transmissions.

You will know it is there on the road because you'll think about staying off the throttle when turning. I'm not talking about twisty backcountry roads, where it feels the same as a limited slip, but rather around town.

I did the Detroit over the ARB because I wanted it back there, automatically, if conditions got bad when driving in the Colorado high country. I didn't want to be needing more traction and then spooling up an ARB, turning it off for switchback turns, turning it back on.... I was worried about unpredictable behavior, but the Detroit has been a lot more predictable than the Auburn limited slip it replaced (the Auburn tended to slip in low traction moderate speed conditions, such as an uphill snow climb, and kick the rear out. The Detroit does not do this).

Go for it.

Nay

I just picked up a new axle (D44) with a detroit in it from a jeeper who was replacing f/r axles with full width D60's, 5.13's, 8 lug (lucky SOB) :) it is a full detroit,no spin soft locker. Precision gears, rebuilt 5k ago, i did not see any rock rash or bending so i picked it up today.

I've heard about it "unloading" in turns. What is unloading?

there is about 1/8 of a turn on the pinion before i feel it engage, i think this is OK, right

also is there a way to check for proper locking/unlocking with the axle off the vehicle.

I was planning on running 75W-140 or 85W-140 lube

there is no real advantage IMHO using the thicker oil, unless your doing lots of towing. I always use a 75-90w or 80-90w. and I have done quite a few rear ends.
you will notice a little more play in the driveline witheh detroit when you shift into gear and transision from accellerate to decellerate.
youll love having it back there because it is reliable. with that being said, I think they are a little more quirky than the powertrax no-slip in the rear. but nothing wears out in the detroit, the springs in the no-slip go bad and need to be replaced every so often.

now when auburn starts coming out with E'cted lockers for Dana axles I will be exited. its a clutch limited slip with an electromagnetic lockup, and its proven reliable unlike the Electrac...

iam running the detriot in my 8.25 and would never look back..33s with4.56..its great..boggers are a little loud but hey wtf..its a xj..||charles||

I just ordered a 29 spline Detroit from Mopar. It was quite cheap ($550 Cdn!). Having a hell of a time trying to find 4.56 gears though.

i have a 8.25 29sp in my '98 with a Detroit odd sounds at times, but love the on road manners, a little play some times. Like when you put it in park it will roll a couple inches then stop.

Love it have detroits frt and rear on my DD. The frt is invisible on the street and as long as you dont power through turns I dont even know it is back there. wouldnt chose anyother locker.

yeah i second the couple inches of roll..i forgot about that...damn thing..start to jump out on in incline a like to get run over...i still love my xj..||charles||

i have a detroit in my 27 spline 8.25 with 4.56s and 33s (yeah i know but the price was right) i have never heard and of the rumored "clicks/pops/bangs" associated with what i consider "second hand" experience.. once you get a feel for how it works you will find yourself thinking "thru" each turn /corner and will eventually never even know its there except on the trail..

Back