• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how to ID a manual trans

oldmopars

NAXJA Forum User
I am going to pick up a Comanche with a bad trans. The trans is in the bed so I have seen it. The Jeep is a 87 with 4.0L. The trans is a manual, but what kind? It is the kind that splits down the middle. Is this a AX-15 or the Puegot?
Also, can parts be had to repair these? I may try to repair the trans and keep or sell the running truck if I don't sell it as is.
Thanks

Most likely a BA but could be an AX if it was swapped in. Easy way to tell is the BA is a clamshell case that has bolts on the spine.

1987 MJ = BA 10/5 (Peugeot)

Puegots are absolutly horrible. I've gone through two before swapping it with a NV3550. It's probably not worth the rebuild either. I had trouble finding parts and what's the use if it's just going to crap out again in another 50k? I've got my old one still sitting in the garage, I can't even give it away to the dealership or other local shops - if that tells you anything.

Back