• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3" lift, 31X10.5, 4.56's, ax-15

schaff90xj

NAXJA Forum User
i am kinda new so many of you don't know that i am currently in iraq...still..and if you haven't heard lately, many of us just got extended for another 3-4 months..that's on top of the 12 we are already doing..anyways i have ordered my 3" lift from black diamond and am planning on getting some 31X10.5's to mount on my stock wheels for now..i have read many of the forums about gearing but was just going to make sure before i order my gears what you guys thought..the other thing i should mention is that the rest of my drivetrain is stock...and i have the ax-15 tranny also..this is where the slight confusion comes in..i was wondering if the 4.56 gears will be too much gear for the 31's?? i do a fair amount of highway driving and am hoping that i will still be able to maintain decent fuel mileage...for now anyways..the other thing is that in the future i am planning on going no larger than 33's..any help or advice would be greatly appreciated..thanks

If you're going to 33's anyway, do the 4:56, 3" lift and everything you plan now. When you want 33's cut the fenders and they'll fit fine. (might rub a bit wheelin, but oh well) Get a full leaf and coil lift kit, and throw a spacer and shackle on if you worry about rubbing with those larger meats. HTH and keep up the good work.

schaff90xj said:
i am kinda new so many of you don't know that i am currently in iraq...still..and if you haven't heard lately, many of us just got extended for another 3-4 months..that's on top of the 12 we are already doing..anyways i have ordered my 3" lift from black diamond and am planning on getting some 31X10.5's to mount on my stock wheels for now..i have read many of the forums about gearing but was just going to make sure before i order my gears what you guys thought..the other thing i should mention is that the rest of my drivetrain is stock...and i have the ax-15 tranny also..this is where the slight confusion comes in..i was wondering if the 4.56 gears will be too much gear for the 31's?? i do a fair amount of highway driving and am hoping that i will still be able to maintain decent fuel mileage...for now anyways..the other thing is that in the future i am planning on going no larger than 33's..any help or advice would be greatly appreciated..thanks

You'll be fine with 31's and 4.56, you'll have plenty of power to pass in 5th. As far as gas milleage, you may see an improvement over stock. IMO Jeeps are undergeared from the get go, I think they are trying to keep your jeep from turning the higher RPM's for emission reason's, not for effiency.

Thank you for your service! :patriot:

I don't have any input on the subject I just wanted to say Thank you for all you are doing over there. I imagine your Jeep helps you escape reality when you need a break. Keeps your mind busy. Be safe.

Joe

my jeep does take my mind off of a lot of things..only my wife gets a little worried sometimes when that's all i talk about..i love her dearly and it's loved ones such as her that really get us through this stuff..thanks for the support..i really appreciate it.

Back