• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How high can you go without extending...

xjfish

NAXJA Forum User
Just wondering how much lift front and back you can put on using longer front and rear springs and shocks only. I know that more performance can be had with more upgrades but I'm talking about safe temporary street and some off road use without breaking stuff and adding more goodies in when necessary.

Stock Shocks?
Sway bar links?
Brakelines? (I know you can gain 2" by relocating front)
Control Arms?
Trac Bar?
Steering/Pitman arm?

Could you go 4.5" with just new shocks, swaybar extensions, brakelines, front coils and rear leafs?

Opinions appreciated! :)

4.5" is gonna give you vibrations without a slip yoke eliminator especially if it is a 97+ Cherokee. You could go 4.5" but i dont think you will be happy without further mods.

xjfish said:

Stock Shocks?
Sway bar links?
Brakelines? (I know you can gain 2" by relocating front)
Control Arms?
Trac Bar?
Steering/Pitman arm?

Could you go 4.5" with just new shocks, swaybar extensions, brakelines, front coils and rear leafs?

Opinions appreciated! :)

No.

you'll certainly need a longer track bar and at least lower controll arms if not uppers too, you will need brake lines (don't want to droop your axle and brake a line), you will need longer shocks. stock pitman arm is okay. What's a sway bar?????????????

just cuz you have a 97, doesn't ALWAYS mean you need an SYE, you prob will but no one can say you WILL need one.

Fore Wheeler said:
No.

you'll certainly need a longer track bar and at least lower controll arms if not uppers too, you will need brake lines (don't want to droop your axle and brake a line), you will need longer shocks. stock pitman arm is okay. What's a sway bar?????????????

just cuz you have a 97, doesn't ALWAYS mean you need an SYE, you prob will but no one can say you WILL need one.

swaybars help to keep you from rolling over (on the street) and having to turn your cherokee into a tube buggy :laugh3:

Last edited:
I'm at about 4" right now with my 1994 and I've put on an adjustable track bar, sway bar disconnects, and adjustable lower control arms; the uppers are fine as they are. I waited on the brake lines, thinking that they were fine, but found out the hard way that I needed new ones. I didn't completely break it, but I pulled it hard enough to cause a leak. As for a SYE I haven't needed one and don't feel any abnormal vibrations, nor did I drop the t-case. It just didn't make sense to me to lift for ground clearance and then drop the t-case to get rid of some of it! :banghead:

I will be putting in a SYE in the not too distant future though. Just seems like a good idea to have it anyway. I'd hate to have the driveshaft fall out and fluid leak everywhere!!!

Robert

Every rig is different and every year has it's own needs.

I have a 89 and I am at 4.5" of lift with stock control arms, no sye and it drives good on and off road.

My feeling is that 4.5" is max for stockcontrol arms and trackbar.
6" is max for no SYE with older rigs.
3" is max for break lines.
no lift is max for stock shocks.

HTH,
Michael

not sure about stock shock length but the stock sway bar end links will not live long even at 2" of lift.. the links are designed to operate level with the vehicle and as the axle moves lower(as in a lift) it will pinch one side of the bushings and squeeze them out the other side and will even bend the ends of the links over a little.. stock track bar at 3.5" offset my axle by a full inch and has affected tire wear... the stock brake lines will go about 2" of lift, but dont mess around with your saftey by not doing them first... we all make "plans" to finish things very soon but it never gets done on time and brakelines are not one of those things to mess with... spend a few $$ and get new ones.. YJ stock lines will be cheaper than stainless so i t really depends what you prefer and what your futue plans are...

mike

Thanks. That helps a lot. Thinking I may stay 4" or slightly under for my first lift to keep things affordable and somewhat simple to install. (I'm sure "inchitis" will kick in later) BTW I have an 87. 2exteme: you have stock control arms and tracbar with a true 4.5" on you 87 and no vibes or problems?

Back