• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE CA brackets or long arm?

Angus

NAXJA Forum User
OK I'm getting tired of the wobble sensitivity of my 4" lift (bushings get replaced when needed and the balance and alignment are good). My 2000 XJ is still a daily driver but does see several outings a year. I currently have the 2"OME coils with a total of 2" in spacers. Shocks are Rusty's and trackbar, lower CA and discos are JKS's. This summer I will be swaping a HP D30 (4.11) with WJ knuckles and discs to make the 31 BFG happy. While all this is happening I need some advice. To improve the wobbles and further make the 4" seem more stock like I want to alter the CA angles. RE drop brackets, Skyjacker CA cradle and several of the four link long arm kits are getting my attention. I realize that 4" may not be high enough for the Long arms, but the concept seems good. The RE brackets are the most cost effective, but I have hung up on my stock cross member allready. OK what is the consensous?????

Angus

i think the general rule is anything over 5.5" should have long arms or drop brackets.

i ran 4" lift with stock control arm mounts and it rode well, maybe it isnt your control arm angles?

running stock uppers?

The JKS LCA use stock type rubber bushings. The uppers are stock. The alignment is good, not perfect because of the low pinion. I'm picky and want a better angle, I'm sure in the wide sceme of things it ride ok, it could ride better with better angles.

Angus

Angus said:
The JKS LCA use stock type rubber bushings. The uppers are stock. The alignment is good, not perfect because of the low pinion. I'm picky and want a better angle, I'm sure in the wide sceme of things it ride ok, it could ride better with better angles.

Angus

Your ride will be bettter, but at the cost of ground clearance. At 4" either the DB's or LA's will get in your way. If you go higher and bigger tires at least 33" minimum for either setup.

You mentioned the WJ conversion, this will definitely help out your alignment issues. The only thing that I would add would be Adj, UCA's, that way you can really tune in your caster.

Also that HP D30 will help you run proper caster, with less adjustments. I would first get the HP D30 under you jeep first and then decide if you really need DB's or LA's.

Rusty's arms are fine, but if you feel uneasy, then either RE or JKS arms will do the trick.

If you are talking about the white Rusty's shocks, I would say get rid of them, as soon as possible. They are POS.

I can understand your frustration about the ride, I got awful ride since the day I installed my lift (4.5" Rusty's). Too many things were added in an effort to correct it (poor ride was combined with Death Wobble, but that's another story). Pitman arms, adjustable uppers, track bar end and frame mount, steering box etc. Finally I installed RE drop brackets and ride became good again. Mind you, it is still a bit vague for my liking, but I do not think a 32"-equipped vehicle with +5" of height can ride as good as a stock one.

In any case, your question on drop-brackets vs long arms, is mostly related to the kind of trails you want to do. For my case, the DB are good enough, others complain of them hanging too low and acting as an anchor. Not an invalid point, but as I said, for the driving I do, they are OK, and do not cost as much as a long-arms kit.

Rgds
---------
John SV1CEC

Back