• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ 2.5L Chrysler Engine Replacement help

reuter

NAXJA Forum User
hey guys, i bought an 87 Cherokee Chief 5spd the other day. it has a blown engine. the engine has barely any compression, burns oil etc. im looking to swap in another 2.5L into it. my question is, will any 2.5L from a jeep swap into it no problems? will the wiring harness hook right up? mounts? etc

also ive never pulled an engine out of a jeep before. does anyone know where i can find an online guide on pulling the engine from an XJ? if it's economical, i might even rebuild it. anyone know cheap/good places that sell rebuild kits?

one more thing (i promise ;) ) what are the options for a swap into the XJ? could a 4.0L fit in there? what modifications would it take?

thanks guys!

Ok, I think I can help here. You are lucky you have the 87 so yes a 4.0 would swap in. Now the bad news! It would mean the tranny, and tcase be swaped too. There is a chance that you could use the current tcase but that depends on the year of 4.0 that you put in there. So the best and easyest way for you to do it IMHO is toi get a wrecked donner XJ with the 4.0 already in it and swap everything to yours! Now the 2.5L side of it. I just did something like this to my 84. I put a 94 YJ engine, tranny, and tcase into my 84 xj. WOW, what a difference in power! The MPI is the way to go for the 2.5L IMHO. It was widely used in wranglers and xj's starting in 91-96. Then the 2.5L had some changes for the new TJ and word is that it is the same in the XJ just very rare. There is a MPI in the for sale forum right now from some guy in VA and I believe it has the engine harness with it. However, be for warned that changine to the engine also requires one of two wireing changes. I took the easy way out and switched to the 94 harness that I bought from Egypt1 in the vendors section. I put both a body and engine harness in my 84. The other way is to splice the 94 harness into your 87 and that just scares the heck out of me! HTH if I can help jsut let me know.

Back