• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

xj tranny woes

tighttrailxj

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1990 xj with a 4.0, select trac, and a 4-speed auto w/overdrive. First, I am not exactly sure what tranny is in the truck, every place tells me something different. Second, with no simptoms the tranny now only has first gear, after that it goes into neutral. I called a bunch of places, wanting to pull the tranny myself. They all gave me very high prices, about $1000 and over for a rebuild. I am wondering if there is something special about these trannies that costs so much, or are they just ripping me off as usual? Any decent places on the east coast that upgrades these trannies?

Have you tired manually shifting it? If you can shift it manually then there is a good possibility that the fuse is blown to the TCU (transmission control unit). This fuse is located in a wire harness that runs below the glove box. Check the fluid level if you haven't already.

I don't really think there is much available as upgrades for the AW4. It's a really strong and dependable transmision as-is.

If your AW4 stays in first gear I would suggest you try this;
Disconnect the TCM (transmission control module) or pull the fuse. Try to drive it as you would a manual shift minus of course the clutch pedal starting in the 1/2 position and shifting up to 3 then 4 as the speed increases. If the AW4 shifts when you do this then you will have eliminated all mechanical problems with the tranny. You MUST remember to shift into the 1/3 position every time you stop.
My $0.02

thanks for the advice guys. I brought the truck out this morning and it shifted fine for about two blocks, then the same thing. Only first gear. tried disconnecting the fuse and then all connections. No change. Maybe something is getting sucked around in there and bocking a port. I pulled the tranny out and am going to have it rebuilt.

Have you gotten your tranny rebuilt yet? Mine is still acting up when hot but works perfect when cold. I am not sure if the problem is with the cooler or the AW4 it self is building too much heat for the cooler. There is no sign of slippage and the oil is clean (I changed it two weeks ago). I could disconnnect the TCM and shift it with no problem. The only drawback is I loose my over drive on the highway or I leave the TCM connected and shift into 1/2 then back to D every time I come to a stop both of which defeats the purpose of having an automatic. I would like to know what had to be done to yours tighttrailxj. Anyone has ideas, your help is appriciated.
TIA

Back