• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

6x5.5 or 5x 4.5???

Stoney

NAXJA Forum User
i think that is right? i am building a front 44 with f 150 hubs. and i am wondering if i should get wheel spacers for the front or even if i can do wheel spacers for the front? or if i can maybe redrill the rears or something?? anyone know bout this stuff?

stoney

Stoney said:
i think that is right? i am building a front 44 with f 150 hubs. and i am wondering if i should get wheel spacers for the front or even if i can do wheel spacers for the front? or if i can maybe redrill the rears or something?? anyone know bout this stuff?

stoney

Are you trying to turn a 5 on 5.5" to 5 on 4.5"?

What bolt pattern do you want to end up with?

CRASH

go 6 x 5.5. It is a stronger bolt pattern. If you are going to be running a 44 up front and taking time to swap it, you do hard wheeling ( I only naturally assume). Trading for a weaker bolt pattern would be a total setback. Hitting rocks on the dinky 5 x 4.5 bolt pattern can cause problems. There is a good thread about this on neow.org.

I got pics of a camaro that hit a curb and snapped it's axle flage off. maro = small tight bolt pattern.

I'm not saying 5 x 4.5 can't be done and won't hold up, but why trade for something that is not as strong as the 6 x 5.5.

i ment to post this in tech sorry! the spindles i have are off a 79 f 150 so i think that they are 6X5.5????? so do i jsut buy adaptors for my rear shafts? to make them 6x5.5? or can i redrill them?

stoney

79 F-150 hubs are 5 on 5.5". You do not have F-150 hubs.

The easiest thing to do would be to buy the correct hubs up front, 5 on 5.5". These can be found, with flat top knuckles, on late-70's to early 80's Dodge pickup. Make sure you get one that uses selective hubs, as some have a vacuum disconnect assembly.

CRASH

well i forgot to look at the bolt patteren but it is 5 x 5.5 but the knucles and brakes and hubs that i have came off a 79 ford of some sort. either way what do i do about the rear axle bolt patteren?

stoney

On the rear, you can either run adaptors from www.performancewheel.com or have the flanges and drum brakes re-drilled at a machine shop. Either way will cost you about $100.

CRASH

On the rear, you can either run adaptors from www.performancewheel.com or have the flanges and drum brakes re-drilled at a machine shop. Either way will cost you about $100.

this is dependent on what axle you run in the rear.

i was thinking of doing this to my axle but it would leave a very small bit of metal on the outside of the flange, and it looked like it would actually decrease strength if it were drilled that way

though aftermarket shafts can be drilled either way

i have an 8.8!

stoney

Get alloy shafts with 5x5.5

basalt51 said:
Get alloy shafts with 5x5.5

Dutchman alloys will run you about $275. Wheel adapors will be $50.

The OEM 8.8 axle flange can be re-drilled, but the holes end up very close to the edge of the flange.

CRASH

If you are running full width in the front I would do the spacer/adaptors in the back, and they should run about $100 for the pair. This way you can use stock axles for spares also.

i think i am going to run spacers that wway if i break a shaft i will have spare shafts and i can just put them in. and bolt everything back up. and it will be less than 200 bucks!! (its not a full width)

stoney

Back